Author Topic: Starting weapon?  (Read 4502 times)

Jindal

• Wanderer
    • View Profile
Starting weapon?
« on: September 17, 2014, 08:07:41 AM »

I know that you start with a weapon and robes on your first life, but could this be changed to every life maybe? This may sound like a dumb suggestion, and I hope that if you think so you will be nice enough to not be rude about your opinion, but I don't really like being defenseless every time I die.

This wouldn't be as big of a problem if the first area you can go to after choosing a faction was safe to loot, you could get enough loot to buy yourself a new basic weapon. However, there are often enemies that can kill you (whether they be players or NPCs) in those areas and it is somewhat tedious to scrape together loot every time you die (which seems like it happens often, which is okay) to buy yourself a new weapon (this is speaking as if you do not have any loot or money in storage). The full loot feature is needed in a game like this, so I don't think you should start with anything you had when you died, just whatever clothing and weapon you started with when you created your character. I know this would cause people to kill themselves and sell their items to merchants for unlimited caps, so I think whatever the starting items were would have to be non-tradeable to merchants. Maybe create a new class of item like "Starter Robes", "Starter Pistol", "Starter Knife", "Starter Pistol Ammunition" (whatever ammunition the non-starter version of the gun takes the starter gun could also take), though you could probably come up with better names for them than i can.

I understand that this would probably require quite a bit of programming, but it does seem like an issue to me. I also understand that this is not exactly realistic, though the replication process is not realistic either. As much as I doubt this would be implemented, I had to suggest this after noticing this problem with my character. And I definitely think if starting items are added, they should be weak. Something you would want to upgrade later. Of course, this might just seem like an issue to me because I'm playing the game wrong, so let me know if you think that's the case.

Here's an example of why I'm suggesting this:

You are a new player. You choose a faction and head to the first area that you can loot, after obtaining your room. You get there and are killed by a player, losing your weapon and robes (assuming you put everything else in storage). You go back to try and loot some stuff to buy yourself a new weapon. You successfully avoid any enemies and get enough loot to buy yourself a new basic pistol and ammunition, knife, whatever. You go back to get a little more loot to get some starter armor, you are then killed again by a player and must repeat the process just to get enough money to get yourself something to defend yourself with.

Situations like that are why I am suggesting this. Though no doubt a lot of people will not like this idea, there may even be not a single other person who likes this, I'm suggesting this anyways. Please let me know your thoughts on this, whatever you opinion may be! :)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

Re: Starting weapon?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 09:27:09 AM »

Wasteland is harsh, deal with it

Seki

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 09:27:39 AM »

its not needed, you will get starting stuff from tutorial which was removed because it was causing lags but it will be added back

catstevens

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 10:03:56 AM »

Really not necessary, it's easy to get weapons really. Just one visit to the core and youll have enough stuff to craft more weapons, or just start doing assignments and youll have caps to buy. PS - try being gifted, you start with robes but no weapon!

faopcurious

• Outdoorsman Veteran
  • War.... War always changes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 05:38:12 PM »

You get gear pretty easily, especially if you are a small gunner.
What faction are you? maybe i can give you some gear ^.^

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip