Author Topic: Sneak bandaid suggestion  (Read 4609 times)

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
Sneak bandaid suggestion
« on: October 05, 2014, 01:05:01 AM »

EDIT; After realising some major points, I have changed the tone of the topic to instead suggest a reduction in the new maluses, but also to remove the bonus effect of jackets, to force sneak never to go over 200.

So for armors I would suggest;

Jacket and coat variants = No modifier
Leather armor variants = -5% to sneak
Bluesuit = -10% sneak
Support CA = -15% sneak
Combat Armor = -25% sneak
Metal Armor = -50% sneak
Power armor = -95% sneak

While weapons would be as follows;

Pistols/SMG/One handed melee (not including powerfist variants) = No modifier.
Rifles/basic shotguns/two handed melee/power fist variants = -5% Sneak while standing or walking, -5% additional sneak while running.
LMG/Heavy shotguns/GL/Flamer = -10% Sneak while standing or walking, -10% additional sneak while running.
Anything bigger = -25% Sneak while standing or walking -25% additional sneak while running.

Also displaying these penalties somehow, whether in the item description, or by showing a physical reduction in the character sheet when worn/equipped would be helpful to noobs, and forgetful types like myself :)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 08:06:21 PM by mAdman »

GroeneAppel

• Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Sneak bandaid further improvements
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 04:07:03 AM »

Give bluesuits a penalty and im fine with it.

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2014, 02:45:14 AM »

Give bluesuits a penalty and im fine with it.

A penalty for being naked you say? Hmm, interesting concept and I fully understand why.

Edited into OP.

paragon

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014, 03:08:06 AM »

Power Armor running minigun sneakers would be hilarious.

I want to remember as someone said something like "gameplay over realism" / "balance over realism". It's not about size of the weapon

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 09:05:32 AM »

I had a thought that maybe the new weight threshold could be managed by total weight capacity, say you can carry 10%-15% of your max weight capacity before the SEC drain penalties apply.

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2014, 01:55:29 PM »

I'm not sure how the values work exactly and want to do some more stealth testing, but it seems like while I am wearing a leather jacket (apparently +25 to sneak, and holding a rifle -15 sneak while standing -30 while running) and 193 base stealth, people can see me from much further away then If i have a pistol and leather armor, even when i stand still with the rifle.

Also the SEC drain seems higher than it should be when you hit 10kg or above, it seems to triple at 10.

I say seems because it is hard to time and test this exactly, but I will try.

With 30 kg of loot the stealthboy seems to drain within 5 minutes or less, so it was even harder to test properly, but it seems certain that the rifle penalties at least are more than they state, also detecting a sneaker in general is much easier with the stealth skill detection modifiers.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014, 02:18:42 PM by mAdman »

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 03:46:26 PM »

Hmm, after realising another mistake of mine in deciphering the formulaic processes it has been revealed that bonuses and maluses are % values not flat values. So the -15% to stealth of holding a rifle becomes -30 stealth at 200 stealth, and -60 while moving.

This revelation has caused me to reconsider this whole suggestion topic, as I thought the values were high as flat numbers, as percentages they are even higher.

I would think this would be a way to relegate sneakers to use only pistols and SMGs, but I have been so wrong lately, I might just shut up for a while >.<

Myakot

• Global Moderator
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Eng\Rus Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Sneak bandaid suggestion
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 11:21:15 PM »

For what reasons? Continue this, you think you were the only one thinking that? ;).
I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and the stuff together...
Okay, 3, 2, 1, let's jam!

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Sneak bandaid suggestion
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 11:48:30 PM »

Well, it's personal reasons mostly, but also because I don't want to see entire build possibilities shut down by the nerfs.

Losing 10 sneak can make a massive impact to a sneaker, but so can the difference between leather armors and leather jackets, so someone who doesn't mind sacrificing a bit of stealth and only intends to carry light weapons can choose the better protection of leather armor and still be very effective. Whereas someone who intends to sneak with a rifle would likely have to choose a jacket over leather armor to stay effective while on the run, but still be negatively modified for doing so. Combat sneakers who intend to just use sneak as a way to reduce snipers vision on them (don't intend to move around alot during combat) can stand still in leather armor or even support CA and a rifle or big gun, and still be able to enter stealth, but of course be nowhere near effective as a recon sneaker, who would still easily get vision over him first.

I like the idea that sneaking with a big weapon is possible, especially while standing still, but largely modified. And I like the idea that running with too big of a weapon breaks stealth, just like shooting.

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip