Beginner guide: Discover the world
Learn everything on how to explore the world and interact with it.
Explore the world
In Ashes of Phoenix you will explore the city of Phoenix and the desert around it. Time to discover how to move and configure your view.
To move your character you simply use the right click of your mouse. As soon as you have clicked on a slot that is not hindered with obstacles, your character will start to run towards it, taking the shortest route.
Some other keys are usefull for moving:
- "," allows you to stop and rotate your character.
- "Shift + click" allows you to walk instead of running. Good for minefield\sneaking.
The main way to leave the location and enter the world map is to set your foot onto exit grid tiles.
Move camera : Use the arrow keys of the keyboard or move mouse to the edge of the screen to move the camera.
Zoom : Press "z" key and scroll to zoom (or hold "z" and press "Pg up\dwn"). Your camera will never be able to see outside of a map's border so you will not be able to unzoom if your camera is stuck in a map border.
In AoP you have to manage your sight of view. It is important to know what you can or can't see when you are in-game.
weapon spread cone : When you use shotgun or burst mode not all of your bullets will follow the same direction. Press Ctrl to display the spread cone ; any of your friends inside that zone will get hurt if you shoot! If you will left-click while holding Ctrl with a weapon capable of showing said cone, you will shoot blindly in that direction. This is very effective to shoot through smokes for example.
Interact with the world
To interact with the world you need to set your cursor in the interaction mode. If you are in attack mode, use Space to switch from attack mode to interaction mode. Otherwise you have to do nothing, and simply interact with things by pressing the left mouse button.
If you long click on someone (player or npc) the interaction menu will drop allowing you to define what exactly you want to do :
1. Look : Have more information about the character. Displayed in the log area.
2. Move : If you are close to one character you can push him away from his current position with its. (Usefull when someone block a door for example)
3. Inventory : If you want to use an object of your inventory on someone (For example: using a stimpak or a defibrilator)
4. Skill : If you want to use a skill on this character (First aid, Doctor, ...). Note there are shortcut keys for all skills.
5. Tag : Allow you to tag someone and create a group. It allow you to play in a group to enter dungeon.
6. Close : Close this menu
If you are close to an other player character you will have two more icons:
Next page : The art of combat