Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Inverting the sprinter perk  (Read 12816 times)

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
Inverting the sprinter perk
« on: October 10, 2014, 12:21:11 AM »

The armor perk sprinter gives more move speed for AP missing, while this is a cool mechanic, in combination with bloodthirst (as after hitting someone and killing them usually leaves you with little to no AP) and voodoo, it is scary to see how fast someone can fly across the map.

Inverting the mechanic to grant more move speed while on higher to full AP might calm the snowballing effect that all of these effects in combination have, but also make wearing light armors more effectively increase movement in general. (Also it would remove any need to "flush" your AP to boost movement speed, by equipping and removing a weapon etc, and not put people with a slower AP+ regen at an advantage to those with faster rates).

I also believe that leather armor should have a similar movement speed increasing effect (less so than jackets) and that metal and heavier should have an inherent malus to move speed, but that could be an entirely different discussion in itself.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 12:31:02 AM by mAdman »

Niamak

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Inverting the sprinter perk
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 02:33:40 AM »

But why ?  ::) does leather jacket and leather armor need a buff ? metal armor nerf ?

Sprinter at full AP would make sneaker pretty strong.

cirn0

• No Name Yet Team
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
  • That's Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 03:00:03 AM »

Sprinter is kind of weird that it even buffs 1agi builds. Will need to rework this.
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FEATURES! YOU'LL REGRET THIS!

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 03:19:49 AM »

Yeah, a 1 AG character with bruiser can stay at full speed much longer than a high AG character by dumping his AP.

Would inverting the mechanic work to the effect you intended? It would certainly advantage high AP regen+ builds more.

As for why they need a buff or debuff, it is not so much about buffing, but giving each strengths and weaknesses that are balanced and make at least a little sense.

Making people metal armor move slightly slower, though would be an added malus, and metal armor would need to be compensated a little to balance, say with a buff to DT, but like I said that is a whole nother discussion, and I'm not sure that is the path they want to go here.

Maybe you could use a different inversion of sprinter for metal armor, where a player moves SLOWER for the more AP he is missing, so running and gunning in metal armor becomes more difficult and people with slow AP regen+ are actually punished instead of rewarded.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 03:23:27 AM by mAdman »

RazorRamon

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 06:25:05 AM »

while it doesnt make sense from a realism standpoint, any leather jacket/coat character really needs the bonus movespeed to get away after spending their action points, its the weakest set of armors and has paper wall after all

and if it gave a bonus with full AP everyone would carry a spare 160 caps leather jacket at all times to travel faster
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 06:28:29 AM by RazorRamon »

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 06:49:48 AM »

Well, unequipping and reequipping armor in combat seems excessive and is a waste of AP really, but I can see what you mean, that could be avoided by adding the effect to Combat Jacket and above though (as the 4th armor trait), making it a much more expensive move speed increase. Or you could bump up the cost of taking off and equipping armor to 150 AP each, to make combat armor switching impossible without plenty of time (which is fine in my books).

Don't get me wrong I believe leather jackets and even leather armor too should boost movement, but it just seems this mechanic has some flaws.

Perhaps a movement boost similar to bloodthirst could be added, that instead grants movement speed based off damage dealt, but only for 5 seconds or so, so that one's AP regen+ only effects this in a positive way, and shenanigans like dumping AP  won't have a positive effect.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 07:17:41 AM by mAdman »

SnowCrash

• Wastelander
  • Ninja Lawyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 08:56:20 AM »

What about making it gives speed based on the health lost (like adrenaline rush), will still  be useful for hit and run tactics and wont be an abusable mechanic

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2014, 08:57:32 AM »

Everything is fine, leave as is.

Myakot

• Global Moderator
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Eng\Rus Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2014, 10:47:10 AM »

What's fine, sprinter perk is not used.
I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and the stuff together...
Okay, 3, 2, 1, let's jam!

Niamak

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 10:55:22 AM »

Sprinter perk is used but AG is not.  :-[

Myakot

• Global Moderator
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Eng\Rus Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 11:46:15 AM »

Sprinter perk is used but AG is not.  :-[
I mean that it's not being utilized properly. It's like: "Oh, why the heck do I run faster? Oh, I've forgotten I have a sprinter perk".
I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and the stuff together...
Okay, 3, 2, 1, let's jam!

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2014, 12:40:05 PM »

So 1ag characters with bruiser get hugely rewarded by sprinter over high ag characters with action boy type perks. And doing things like equipping and reequipping a weapon can boost you to the full movement bonus without having fired a shot.

But it's ok 'cos everything is fine, and I shouldn't bother to report potential exploits? OK, NPs. Sorry for wasting all of your time.

RazorRamon

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 12:46:03 PM »

how is this a potential fucking exploit?

you catch someone running with 0 AP and PAPERWALL and he still beats you you should immediately ~deleteself

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 01:10:34 PM »

Look. Before I rerolled, I had 1 ag and bruiser. I now have 3 ag and bruiser, but it is much the same. In some situations I fire 2-3 shots and run, run so fast nobody can catch me, sometimes while stealthed, for overextended periods of time because of my terrible ap regen+. If you think knockdowns are a problem for me, you would be wrong.

This seems unfair to me.

And the idea of using some silly inventory trick or AP dumping technique to stay at full movespeed is being used, and doesn't seem like proper in game meta management.

You don't agree?

RazorRamon

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2014, 01:23:35 PM »

Look. Before I rerolled, I had 1 ag and bruiser. I now have 3 ag and bruiser, but it is much the same. In some situations I fire 2-3 shots and run, run so fast nobody can catch me, sometimes while stealthed, for overextended periods of time because of my terrible ap regen+. If you think knockdowns are a problem for me, you would be wrong.

This seems unfair to me.
You make it seem like having 1AG has no downsides.
You got 35% critical agility with 1 AG. Only 25% with Paperwall.

Maybe all you've been fighting are people too dumb to aim for the head on leather jacket/coat targets

And the idea of using some silly inventory trick or AP dumping technique to stay at full movespeed is being used, and doesn't seem like proper in game meta management.
So how does that ever benefit someone? You cant dump your AP by changing equip while running. There's NO combat or getaway situation where standing around the 5 seconds it takes to dump your AP isnt better spent just running straight away.

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2014, 01:40:06 PM »

Well +25% for crit agility, because.. Well why wouldn't you get that perk, it seems like the most useful in the game, and to be honest it was the main reason i bumped my agility up by 2, not that getting knocked over was a huge problem with 1 ag (50% isn't bad, and that is with paperwall), but getting knocked over even less, is always a plus.

Dumping AP is a technique for moving quickly in general, but more so, for running away where you don't need AP anyway, people can dump or flush AP to get away easier without having really participated. That does not seem like the intent of the mechanic, and staying at full speed by, in essence, exploiting the mechanic says to me that there is need of a reworking, as cirn0 suggested in the third post in regards to low AG characters being benefited over high ag characters potentially with perks (I mean shouldn't they be the ones getting advantaged? I.E. by inverting the mechanic, low ag characters lose out and high ag characters are at an advantage).
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 01:49:22 PM by mAdman »

RazorRamon

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2014, 02:01:33 PM »

Well then lets agree that AG in general needs changing

Sprinter is good as it is. It benefits hit and run style tactics which is the only way to use the jacket type armors without getting killed in ZC

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2014, 02:14:13 PM »

Hmm, I agree that the concept of sprinter is good, but linking it to damage dealt (obviously not damage dealt to teammates lol) rather than AP lost for example would both encourage hit and run and deter the things I have mentioned.

Agility is another whole other discussion, does ap regen+ get added to your standing ap regen, to take it over 12.5?

ZwierQ

• Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2014, 05:10:48 PM »

Totally agreed with Ramon. I'm sick and tired of mechanic noobs shouting everywhere on this forum. It's good as it is. Sprinter can be used as a tactical perk. If you use it just for running out of combat and drop your AP just for better speed when you fucked up you probably will be dead anyway. And yes. Paperwall + low agi, even with a crit agi perk = annihilation against REAL pvp players with REAL pvp characters.

Hang-Lip

• Phoenix Contributor
  • Wastelander
  • Got a smoke?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2014, 06:21:27 PM »

Totally agreed with Ramon. I'm sick and tired of mechanic noobs shouting everywhere on this forum. It's good as it is. Sprinter can be used as a tactical perk. If you use it just for running out of combat and drop your AP just for better speed when you fucked up you probably will be dead anyway. And yes. Paperwall + low agi, even with a crit agi perk = annihilation against REAL pvp players with REAL pvp characters.

Learn to read.
He is talking about its effect on low AG chars, who walk with a gambling gait that shouldn't be able to sprint.

Sprinter is kind of weird that it even buffs 1agi builds. Will need to rework this.

Make sprinter not work if AG is under 5?

annihilation against REAL pvp players with REAL pvp characters.

::)
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 06:23:49 PM by Hang-Lip »

AKA Ox-Skull.
Hang-Lip graffiti by Stem Sunders.
Pages: [1] 2

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip