Author Topic: Armor Class mechanic  (Read 5990 times)

cirn0

• No Name Yet Team
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
  • That's Terror
    • View Profile
Armor Class mechanic
« on: September 24, 2014, 03:09:16 AM »

Hello! The AC mechanics has been live for a bit of a time, would appreciate some feedback and discussion on it!

Armor Class is a % chance of reducing aimed shots into non-aimed shots. The effect is signified by an "Evaded" readout.
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FEATURES! YOU'LL REGRET THIS!

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Armor Class mechanic
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 03:48:11 AM »

Seems to be working nicely from my experience, i have a PE of 9 and sharpshooter (if that effects it at all) and people rarely evade my shots when standing still, but it still happens.

It seems anyone on the move has about a 50% chance to evade, and I assume the melee guys who constantly evade while charging have dodger, as they are incredibly hard to get aimed shots off on at times.

May I ask how much does AC go up naturally when moving? , mine seems to go from a flat 7 stationary to 25 when moving, so is it set to go to 25 or is the bonus 18?

Niamak

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 03:53:47 AM »

AC is awesome, you now have to choose between standing still for AP regen or moving around for evasion. Small mobile skirmish groups become more viable not just the traditional toilet control and sniper camp.

I feel AC bonus from AGI is too low and Dodger bonus is too good. 10 agi = +20 AC, dodger = +25 AC, you must be trolling.  :-[

May I ask how much does AC go up naturally when moving? , mine seems to go from a flat 7 stationary to 25 when moving, so is it set to go to 25 or is the bonus 18?

-> Armor Class while standing still is your luck attribute.
-> While moving, your Armor Class equals to 10 + 2 * Agility + Dodger Perk (if you have it).
-> Perception reduces target's Armor Class roll by 2 * perception.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 03:56:26 AM by Niamak »

RazorRamon

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2014, 08:29:30 AM »

The crit to unaimed shot is a very nice mechanic to have, finally someone can get away when running from crit chars where before you'd just get knocked out from behind with a headshot.

But the formula to calculate AC while moving seems wrong. Im getting different results from what the formula should give

TheTylerLee

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2014, 09:50:36 AM »

There is a bug with AC, Some players get 20 free AC (Maxing at around 80AC, Which i believe should be impossible

10+10*2+10+25, So 65 should be the max i believe

Graves

• Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 10:58:08 AM »

I'm happy with it in motion.  Could maybe use some tweaking or buffing for when you're still, though.  Before I did ~reroll my AC was 56 with the same stats I have now.  Post ~reroll it's now 31 while in motion.

SnowCrash

• Wastelander
  • Ninja Lawyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 11:14:03 AM »

I have doubts about standing AC, is the PE reduction working against standing chars? (in the wiki says that reduction only applies for running targets, but most of the info about AC its outdated so i dont know)

if PE*2 reduces AC, even with 10 LK there is almost no scenario in while this can have any effect, i assume (i can be wrong) that any char that deals aimed shots will have at least 5 Pe. Only exception can be a melee char, that may have low PE and do aimed attacks.

If this PE reduction applies, maybe make it at least 2*LK while standing (or LK +AG)

And for melee attackers, i find that when i attack a running target the chance to dodge my aimed attack its high due to my low PE (i have 4), for melee its hard enough to catch a running target, maybe a bonus in the AC reduction based on the melee skill can be applied when attacking with HtH weapons (like melee/25)

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2014, 06:13:35 PM »

And for melee attackers, i find that when i attack a running target the chance to dodge my aimed attack its high due to my low PE (i have 4), for melee its hard enough to catch a running target, maybe a bonus in the AC reduction based on the melee skill can be applied when attacking with HtH weapons (like melee/25)

I can agree with that sentiment, even though I find melee extremely too high damage for ap cost. A melee characters mid to low pe is going to make it incredibly hard for him, maybe instead of perception the melee modifier for reducing AC should be agility?

And I have noticed some characters are almost impossible to get an aimed shot at while running, which makes me think the above statement about the formula being off somewhere and the results coming out too high may be right.

The crit to unaimed shot is a very nice mechanic to have, finally someone can get away when running from crit chars where before you'd just get knocked out from behind with a headshot.

Luckily not every time though ;)

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2014, 06:27:20 PM »

I feel AC bonus from AGI is too low and Dodger bonus is too good. 10 agi = +20 AC, dodger = +25 AC, you must be trolling.  :-[

Also ty for the info and I agree with this entirely, that perk does seem very strong in terms of AC gained from agility and luck.

Myakot

• Global Moderator
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Eng\Rus Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 10:39:36 PM »

Well you know, first of all you'll have to dump some other stat needed for melee before grabbing 10 AGI, and also that juicy perk is costly too (you may end up losing some tankiness and anti-crit perks).
Which is a gamble! So now you have it = you have 50% check each time you get shot, which basically the line between life&death (you get knocked-out, bye bye).
Mechanic seems pretty fun, the only thing I hate about it, is that it's another "random" mechanic. I always love stability in my competitive games ^^.
I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and the stuff together...
Okay, 3, 2, 1, let's jam!

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip