Author Topic: Crits  (Read 5032 times)

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
Crits
« on: March 27, 2015, 10:42:49 AM »

Getting a decent crit effect seems harder these days (or maybe it always was?), Even with knockout strike (or double KS) weapons I rarely see K.O.s for example. With the recent nerf to targeted crit damage making such a large difference, maybe the chance for a crit effect on targeted shots could be increased a bit to compensate some value into spending the extra AP per shot, and restoring some of the value to choosing specific body parts to target.

A quick way would be reducing the starting critical special resistance from 35 (at 1) to 25 or 20 and or lowering the value of the perks by a bit (by comparison, weapon handling only gives +2 equivalent stat bonus, while crit resists give 5x the stat bonus for example).

Another way could be to increase the special critical resistance bypassing weapon perks (e.g. increasing knockout strike to 15 or 20).
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 01:39:00 PM by mAdman »

nailbrain

• Experienced Survivor
  • Sper Trollwer
    • View Profile
Re: Crits
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 01:13:16 PM »

disables works somewhat fine by my opinion
lowering base values will gimper only normal non over 100 resist dudes
dedicated tanks especialy cha based one usualy run resists around 125
try heads or groins for knocks the recent agility trend made leg kos harder
there is no such name as Biggus Dickus

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 08:14:03 PM »

Hmm, But 105 is the max without leadership buffs right? If the values were reduced a bit it would mean that even dedicated tanks can only prevent so much, or that they have to sacrifice other charisma buffs to reach over 100.

There is only 1 gun that I have seen that has 2 knockout strikes for perks for example, 2 weapon perks designed to amplify the frequency of KOs, and that doesn't even cut through a single crit special resistance perk (20 vs 25).

It just seems to me that the crit resist perks are very very strong and are must haves really because they give so much stat bonus value for what they do, the perks would still be hugely valued if it was only 20%, even more so if the base crit resists were at 25. You would need to have 10 in a stat and a specific perk to take you to 85% resistance (which is huge btw, I think we have been spoiled by being able to resist effects at over 100% of the time, resistance 85% of the time is really tanky enough right?).

I'm not trying to make crit builds "OP" or anything, honestly to me the values get way too high way too quickly and it renders the choice of making specific aimed shots for specific reasons not worth the extra AP and aim time.

In another example, specific to me, I have been trying a very squishy character build, but by taking the crit resist perks I am able to overcompensate for my terrible stats, 60% resist chance on specials that are only 1 is just too high to me, I would be happy to have them drop, even though it would mean that much more hurt for me specifically, it seems more balanced that if you want to dump a stat, your resistances from that stat should suffer a great deal, if you choose the perk to compensate, then you change terrible to average etc etc.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 08:19:35 PM by mAdman »

Teela

• Wiki Editor
  • Experienced Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 08:19:40 PM »

Well if you want to be a dedicated critter you'd need ~120% crit chance. So luck and int 9 or 10. Way it should be for a dedicated char. This way you can for example rely on cripples in combat. Lowering base resistance will punish the 'grunts'. You won't really notice 135 or 125 crit ag. But you'll surely notice 75 or 65 crit ag.

So: if it ain't broke don't fix it. If you want to crit, roll a critter :)

BTW: ATM you need 135% crit SPECIAL to be invulnerable. But its a sacrifice to dedicate 1 buff and 1 perk.
RazorRamon:
i literally have 卐TÜRKENJÄGER1488卐 tattooed on my back

Niamak

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 08:20:22 PM »

Aiming for crit effect is more about guessing opponent builds and active leadership modules nowadays.

Simple examples : if you see a close range character with high HP, he will most likely have low PE, so blinding him will be easier. If you see a low max HP character, crippling him will be easier. Leadership modules add another layer of mindgame over that.

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 08:45:23 PM »

Well if you want to be a dedicated critter you'd need ~120% crit chance. So luck and int 9 or 10. Way it should be for a dedicated char. This way you can for example rely on cripples in combat. Lowering base resistance will punish the 'grunts'. You won't really notice 135 or 125 crit ag. But you'll surely notice 75 or 65 crit ag.

So: if it ain't broke don't fix it. If you want to crit, roll a critter :)

BTW: ATM you need 135% crit SPECIAL to be invulnerable. But its a sacrifice to dedicate 1 buff and 1 perk.

10 luck and 10 int build btw...

Aiming for crit effect is more about guessing opponent builds and active leadership modules nowadays.

Simple examples : if you see a close range character with high HP, he will most likely have low PE, so blinding him will be easier. If you see a low max HP character, crippling him will be easier. Leadership modules add another layer of mindgame over that.

I agree, it is a guessing game, which is fair enough, but even so with the way it is, if you see someone with lower health, there is a good chance his crit endurance will still be near 100, so shooting legs/arms isn't really worth it unless you are carrying a specific gun or build (trick shooter etc).

I love how they have done this system, but these values just seem too high, making critical body part effects negligible if you build around them, that might not sound so horrible, but you are cutting out the crowd control effects in game that not only 10 luck snipers with specific builds and weapons should be able to take advantage of.

And in a team game, where these effects are just 1 (or a couple) doc away from being removed, they should really have a place. Most of the time i fear dropping my weapon more than crit effects (with the exception of KO, I admit, I fear KO the most) as doccing is easy, but losing your gun can mean the end of your combat effectiveness.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 08:51:09 PM by mAdman »

Teela

• Wiki Editor
  • Experienced Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 11:45:49 PM »

I'm sorry but i have to side with niamak here. And with 10 luck/10 int take a groin shot with M1C. Good chance it will hit for 100 with a knockout. Shoot arms with laser rifle, shoot dicks with M1C. Im totally happy with the arm crits with laser rifle.

Ok ok I'll stop being mean.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 09:49:27 AM by Teela »
RazorRamon:
i literally have 卐TÜRKENJÄGER1488卐 tattooed on my back

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2015, 03:56:15 AM »

Can't you just disagree without being condescending?

One of the main points I am making is that both the starting crit resist rate and crit resist perks (as they are so heavily weighted) are very high, for the perks it makes their value so much higher than a lot of other perks.

Edited for the sake of friendliness  8)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 04:40:16 PM by mAdman »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip