Author Topic: Reduce weight of mines/beartraps  (Read 3389 times)

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
Reduce weight of mines/beartraps
« on: March 27, 2015, 08:06:07 AM »

As a sneaker almost all other gear can be given to teammates to hold, but if you are a sneaker setting the traps it becomes tedious or very wasteful or very dicky (switching armors when trapping etc) to properly utilise traps.

I know it's not a common enough thing to worry about too much, but I'd like to be able to carry at least a couple of traps around with me as a sneaker, at 5kg a piece it's just not worth it to do so. Maybe drop them down to 2kg (or is it lbs?) or even a bit less, so they aren't such a huge burden ;)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 02:50:54 AM by mAdman »

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Reduce weight of mines/beartraps
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 03:08:35 AM »

Here is a quick list of the main items I think could use a weight overhaul.

Item;     original weight;    edited weight

Stealthboy;          1360;  600
Mine;                   5160;  1500
Beartrap;             6000;  2500
first aid kit;          907;   1250 (the no skill version should weigh 250-750 more)
doctors bag;         2267; 1750 (no skill version 250-750 more)
Stimpack;            0;       75
Superstim;           450;   250
Mentats;              0;       50
Voodoo;               100;   125
Afterburner gum;  0;      75
Psycho;                0;      150
Bandage;             150;   50
Tourniquet;          450;   150
Scopes                 500;   x4= 250, x6= 350, x8= 450
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 02:54:53 AM by mAdman »

twat

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 08:20:05 AM »

i imagine the no skill FA fit and the doctor bag would have less gear in them and the container be made out of cheaper and lighter material, therefore, they could be viable for sneakers. a paramedic bag would reasonably weigh 3 kg. A doctors bag would never weigh as much as 3 kg.

i like a lot of these changes.

stealth boy = 1kg

also such traps are heavy in real life and I like them at 4 kg and 6 kg because that is realistic. A bear trap may weigh as much as 10kg. You would lose the ability to sneak around carrying two of those in real life and i would like it if the game has a healthy level of unforgiving.

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 02:44:23 AM »

I understand realistically that bear traps and mines would be quite heavy, and make sneaking difficult (I made the bear trap heavier because realistically it would be heavier, but gameplay wise it is actually much weaker than a mine, and should really be lighter).

But it doesn't work out like that, currently you can carry half a dozen mines and say 500 SEC and you won't lose any sneaking skill at all, you just have to recharge your stealthboy every 2 minutes until you find a place (or person) for storage, which is excessively wasteful unless you are very concise and specific about what you want to do. I'm happy for realism to take a back seat to gameplay in this area, as I said it is a very specific reasoning for the change being that it is only really sneakers effected by the weight system now.

For any non sneaker the weight of traps isn't an issue, they could carry 15-20 if they wanted to, with no penalty, able to set them all up quickly and without interruption, a sneak has to run back and forth between his storage location and set mines 1 by 1 unless he has an unlimited source of SEC.

With the no skill FA kits and doc bags, it is a similar situation, it makes sense that gameplay wise, someone who is sneaking and using doc or first aid, would be at some degree of advantage if he had the skills needed to do so. So someone with only a very high sneak for example (and low FA/doc), would need to carry the more expensive and heavier version of the kit to maximise his healing output, reducing his options for other gear.

Once again I know this is very specific to sneakers, but I don't think sneak weight was considered when most items were given a weight value, as it wasn't important, but now with the SEC cost of sneaking being modified by weight, some items that sneakers need/want/can utilise need a bit of a weight workover.

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip