Author Topic: Sneak weight limit discussion  (Read 5123 times)

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
Sneak weight limit discussion
« on: October 19, 2014, 05:35:01 AM »

Without going too far into reasoning and explanation and creating a textwall, I feel this mechanic in it's current state makes sneak management frustratingly annoying, even with the assistance of a compliant packmule holding all of your spare weapons, meds, ammo, traps and SB energy, if you can find one.

Being unable to spam loot while invisible is a good nerf, but picking up a few extra kilos shouldn't cut your sneak time in half several times over.

9.9 kilos as a threshold cuts down the capabilities of even a short ranged or melee sneaker substantially, and lets face it carrying huge amounts of SECs to counter SEC drain rate is backwards and not a smart tactic in practice.

My opinion; the threshold could start at 15 or even 20 kgs to open up more options for starting sneak item builds, but also I think that a lot of the smaller misc items and lighter equipment need a bit of a weight overhaul, not just for realism sake (like the 2 kg springs ::) ) but also for gameplay (mines and beartraps for example are far to heavy to ever attempt sneaking with).

What are your thoughts, positive or negative, on the sneak weight restrictions specifically?

RazorRamon

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Sneak weight limit discussion
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 06:00:38 AM »

In my (biased) opinion the sneak penalties are pretty rough and enough already.

The weight crap doesn't change anything gameplay wise, it just bleeds sneakers out of their caps. Whenever i kill someone im only able to take the 0 weight drugs or take everything and suffer a trip back to the base, which is not an option when ZC is going on.

Dedicated sneak looters are hardly a problem either. If someone like that was known he'd just get killed on sight by his own faction.

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 06:05:10 AM »

I think it does effect somewhat the potential for ZC sneaking at least, as the difference between 15 minutes and 30 minutes is huge for the time frames considered for ZCs, and again a packmule can be used, but at some point someone is going to have to leave their post to get those backup cells into your stealthboy.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 06:09:32 AM by mAdman »

paragon

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 06:47:06 AM »

Dedicated sneak looters are hardly a problem either. If someone like that was known he'd just get killed on sight by his own faction.

Not in v-tech, unfortunately, we didn't kill any of random useless looters. So far...

Deathproof

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 12:28:28 PM »

Yeah limit should start at least on 15 so you can actually bring some cells with you. (Now you have to even think which armor to bring depending on gun/ammo while sneaking)

I find 200 cost to re-sneak even a worse problem with so many npc's in the game, but that would be less of a problem if I could bring some extra cells, but now everyone on sneak diet.

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 12:41:54 PM »

Yes the penalties compound rather quickly and painfully, turn your stealthboy on 3 times and you cut out a third of you energy, hold more than 40 kgs and you may get lucky and stay stealthed for a minute.

I think the multiplying effect could cut off at some point too, perhaps at x5 (that turns 30 minutes into 6, which seems enough), if the penalty was applied at (preferably) 20 (x2) then again at intervals of 5 (25=x3, 30=x4, 35 and above =x5 etc), this way a sneaker chooses between a loot and flee mode, in which case they will likely only have a couple of minutes to escape, unless they are shot etc, but the penalty still builds up fast if going into battle overstocked.

RazorRamon

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 03:03:00 PM »

I find 200 cost to re-sneak even a worse problem with so many npc's in the game

to be changed soon™

cirn0

• No Name Yet Team
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
  • That's Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 03:06:18 PM »

Its ok, I promised to change it, I wouldn't lie.
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FEATURES! YOU'LL REGRET THIS!

lvhoang

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 03:10:54 AM »

I brought 300 SEC with me to use my stealth boy, only to find out i burnt everything in less than a few minutes of ZC....aint that funny :p

Deathproof

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 12:41:56 PM »

I brought 300 SEC with me to use my stealth boy, only to find out i burnt everything in less than a few minutes of ZC....aint that funny :p

This is currently the best way to sneak, light armor (any of the black leather family) , charged sboy (wazikashi or handgun with cca 40 ammo), no extra sec or it adds to weight over 9 kg and drains the juice. You can bring like cca extra 40 sec just to recharge those 200 you lost when turning it on.

Sounds ideal but npc's usually destroy your 30 min run around plan :D

P.S. I presumed you looted thats why it drained, you can bring extra 300 sec and recharge occasionally and you'll get 30min+ for sure even if you get desneaked couple of times.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2014, 01:20:47 PM by Deathproof »

paragon

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 03:01:24 AM »

I played for sneaker for while and should say I can't say that limitations are that rough. Sneakers currently have great power, which is not available to any other character type.
I don't care about current weight limitation, playing in team where I can rely on teammates to loot.

PusiteGA

• Phoenix Contributor
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 07:20:25 AM »

I find 200 cost to re-sneak even a worse problem with so many npc's in the game

to be changed soon™

ye it shoud i would chage it to cost 10

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip