Author Topic: Make doors "breakable"  (Read 7450 times)

Leon

• Wanderer
    • View Profile
Make doors "breakable"
« on: September 17, 2014, 07:40:42 PM »

With hex shooting why not give us abilty to shoot doors, lets say there is a 30 sec delay before the door gets fixed again.

Would solve the problem with people toilet controling in a room.

SeanRon

• Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Make doors "breakable"
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 07:59:18 PM »

may be easier to rework area without toilets.  ;D

Myakot

• Global Moderator
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Eng\Rus Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 08:58:09 PM »

may be easier to rework area without toilets.  ;D
Then they will be forced to draw new maps ><, there are lots of those rooms.
+1 and more than 30s cooldown.
I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and the stuff together...
Okay, 3, 2, 1, let's jam!

cirn0

• No Name Yet Team
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
  • That's Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2014, 01:38:01 AM »

Maybe. I reckon sooner or later we will have portable barricades that need to be breakable as well.

But a lot of sieges in ZC involve a lot of door acrobatics, and I'm not quite sure if it will be a great idea to remove that capability. It is a big game changer.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 01:39:45 AM by cirn0 »
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FEATURES! YOU'LL REGRET THIS!

Myakot

• Global Moderator
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Eng\Rus Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2014, 02:21:00 AM »

It is a big game changer.
inb4 some1 suggests to add this ;D.

The Brazilian Slaughter

• Wastelander
  • Family Original Gangster.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 03:21:05 AM »

Maybe. I reckon sooner or later we will have portable barricades that need to be breakable as well.

But a lot of sieges in ZC involve a lot of door acrobatics, and I'm not quite sure if it will be a great idea to remove that capability. It is a big game changer.

Hmmm... if you guys make stuff like shelfs and tables into critters instead of objects, I wonder if we could theorically carry them and use them as destructible barricades. I'm getting funny images of ZC defense zones having doors barricared with shelves, tables, chairs, everything. Seems like a hilarious use for high-strength characters.

I can also see them as good fighting options against critters.

Then someone fires a rocket...

Myakot

• Global Moderator
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Eng\Rus Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 03:24:22 AM »

What I imagine is clearing dungeons via making a tower defense maze out of tables. Sounds fun. If devs will decide to make it happen, they sure as hell need to understand that polishing of such mechanic (getting rid of all the exploits) will require a horrendous amount of work ;).

Komrade

• Experienced Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 03:29:57 AM »

They will need to be breakable at some point although that will make it even more difficult for the Family because we are always outnumbered. Also about the door acrobatics, I remember when we were defending poly in a small room and for 10 minutes I was closing the only other door in the room and with only 1 entrance it was a fun duel between sniper and glaunchers.     

Simms

• Wastelander
  • CHEEKI BREEKI
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 03:39:48 AM »

Cirn0, are you really sure that door acrobatics is a viable feature of close-quarters PvP fighting? Basically, what makes it hilarious is the no-CD mechanics of the doors opening and closing, clicking fast enough allows you to keep the door closed unless you get a lag spike which lets a stray bullet/grenade round fly in and prevent you from doing so.

As a result, indoor engagements often resemble the tug-of-war on the boys' restroom door -- the game widely played by schoolkids on the breaks between classes.

I'd suggest a 2 to 4 sec cooldown for every door to change its current stance, for a start. And, talking about breakable doors, i've seen them implemented on unrelated FOnline servers and they're working pretty fine -- but again, this feature requires a lot of thought put in it, as we have the weak doors, the average ones, the blast doors immune to any physical impact but susceptible to electronic fiddling -- well, all kinds of doors that need some love and special treatment :)
It's all fun and games until someone catches an olive.

Doobee

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 03:45:10 AM »

This could be resolved with 2 hexes on each side of door that can access it, so if you open it, person next to you block the door and it cannot be closed. It is risky, but for few seconds it is possible. Right now most of doors can only be opened and closed from single hex.

PyrO

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 03:46:02 AM »

Well having doors that would be inviisble while not being seen (atleast inside) would make the roof hackers lose their advantage too.
Maybe this can be a 2 in 1 solution for your door shooting and the hacked files. Same would work for containers that have 2 states, the open and closed ones.

cirn0

• No Name Yet Team
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
  • That's Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2014, 02:48:04 AM »

Cirn0, are you really sure that door acrobatics is a viable feature of close-quarters PvP fighting? Basically, what makes it hilarious is the no-CD mechanics of the doors opening and closing, clicking fast enough allows you to keep the door closed unless you get a lag spike which lets a stray bullet/grenade round fly in and prevent you from doing so.

As a result, indoor engagements often resemble the tug-of-war on the boys' restroom door -- the game widely played by schoolkids on the breaks between classes.

I'd suggest a 2 to 4 sec cooldown for every door to change its current stance, for a start. And, talking about breakable doors, i've seen them implemented on unrelated FOnline servers and they're working pretty fine -- but again, this feature requires a lot of thought put in it, as we have the weak doors, the average ones, the blast doors immune to any physical impact but susceptible to electronic fiddling -- well, all kinds of doors that need some love and special treatment :)

I want you guys to tell me if you think its a viable feature! This is an issue I want more feedback on and a knee jerk reactionary fix is not what I'm going after.

Base on observation I see its the only method for situations where the enemy out numbers you by a lot, it required some serious effort on the doors to even stand a chance. Those situations I thought was interesting to watch.

What are the current strategies in dealing with door abuse? What have you tried and how did it turn out? I would really like to discuss this.
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FEATURES! YOU'LL REGRET THIS!

Niamak

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 03:21:11 AM »

Smoke grenade seems to be the best solution as you can deal with the door abuser and rush in safely to clean the room.

Doobee

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2014, 03:49:29 AM »

Blocking the door hex with another person always worked but its a suicide action.

Simms

• Wastelander
  • CHEEKI BREEKI
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2014, 04:48:12 AM »

I want you guys to tell me if you think its a viable feature! This is an issue I want more feedback on and a knee jerk reactionary fix is not what I'm going after.

Base on observation I see its the only method for situations where the enemy out numbers you by a lot, it required some serious effort on the doors to even stand a chance. Those situations I thought was interesting to watch.

What are the current strategies in dealing with door abuse? What have you tried and how did it turn out? I would really like to discuss this.
Well, as for now, the ways to deal with enemy trying to keep the door closed all the time are:
1. basically, suicide blocking. Your friend tries to open the door while you keep clicking the door hex to death, so that you have a chance to step in and block it with your butt -- for several seconds before you're mowed down.
2. spamming 40mm GL rounds at the entrance the moment someone on your side tries to open the door -- you can hope that the blast throws the doorguy away from it for a couple of seconds. You can use them either to shoot several rounds through the doorway or to perform the suicide blocking trick.
3. Smoke grenade on the entrance + (not so suicide) blocking or breaching. The more clever version of number one, although it requires a significant number of smoke grenades carried into battlefield, which is what I've personally never seen yet. We once did this, ironically, to revive one of our guys who actually was door-abusing and died right in front of the entrance =)
4. Trying other possible entrances or just not getting engaged in CQB at all.

And if by serious effort you mean standing on a hex next to a door with 300% zoom and being ready to click on it as soon as animation starts, then, well, I'm lost for words.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 04:50:04 AM by Simms »

Butthead

• Wastelander
  • aop kicks ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2014, 04:58:51 AM »

make doors breakable with meele kick

Simms

• Wastelander
  • CHEEKI BREEKI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2014, 05:16:17 AM »

I guess if the door's breakable with a kick, that it'll be breakable with an AP rocket, too. Actually, it'll just disintegrate on impact.
The shotgun with flechette rounds might work pretty well on the lock and hinges, too.

I suggest to sort out common mechanics not only for how the door can be broken, but also repaired and reinforced/barricaded.
We have Engineering skill which can be pretty much applied to the whole door thing.
For example:

- Basic wooden door, which can be found in 80% of all the houses in Phoenix. Imagine it has 250/250 Hitpoints and die-cast resistances which cannot be altered. Let's say it's 40-50% DR to Normal and 0% to Explosive. It can be targeted by the following weapon categories:
- Selected melee weapons (fists, powerfists and gloves, sledgehammers -- not spears, knives or baseball bats)
- shotguns, if possible -- only bullet/flechette rounds
- splash-damage weapons: grenades, GLs, RL
- actually, a flamethrower could work too, it's just harder to imagine.

It'll take a person up to 5-6 shotgun blasts, or a couple of 40mm grenades, or a single rocket to bring it down.
Depending on the Engineering skill, one can reinforce the door, adding hitpoints to its base value. For example, with 100 Eng skill the door can be reinforced to have 50 + 100/2 = 100 additional HP, which sums in 350. Same mechanics can work for repairing of destroyed doors.
It can be also a good idea to have an expendable resource needed to reinforce the doors, like wood, metal parts and junk.

Please take notice that all written above is just a single example of a concept, which isn't to be taken as a ready-to-go idea.

baskila

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2014, 06:27:44 AM »

make doors breakable with meele kick
melee sucks. plasma guns and grenades can't break door now and you want kick to break them what a dumbass

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip