Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Balance of melee/sneak  (Read 16208 times)

RazorRamon

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Balance of melee/sneak
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2014, 08:20:56 PM »

There's not really a need to have a slave following you around carrying spare SEC or ammo

With 9.9 weight you can create tons of decent loadouts to play around with that have 30 minute sneak time, for example:
1) leather jacket + wakizashi + desert eagle .50 AE + 44x deagle ammo
2) leather jacket + wakizashi + DKS sniper + 65x .223 ammo

of course you cant really loot anything unless you plan to leave the core right afterwards

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2014, 12:44:00 AM »

Please don't think of your friends as mules, they might feel bad about it and refuse to give you the SEC when you need them.

How about walking backpack?

Or, hmm, something creative, like..

Storage compartments.

Just kidding, love you guys :)

naossano

• Alpha Explorer
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Fallout Génération
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2014, 09:32:26 AM »

New discussion has risen about melee/sneak melee balance, but were unfortunately closed before consensus was close. Instead of repeating some of those arguements, i provide the links here.
http://fonline-aop.net/forum/index.php?topic=2265.0
http://fonline-aop.net/forum/index.php?topic=2277.0

As the current system is still game breaking, the topic is still worthy of discussion as ever.

On the second link, were mentioned options in the purpose of making the melee character still strong while not so deeply overpowered as it sadly currently is.

Those were mostly about crippling in non lethal ways. Another option would be to increase the evasion/defense for balancing the much needed attack nerf.

By being less likely to die in the time needed to reach the target, the melee would compensate its lack of range, while still leaving option to its opponement. You could choose to shoot him, having 20% or 50% chance to miss him or just leave. But if he gets close, you wouldn't outright die at the first second.

Considering the damage of the melee attack would be lowered, you wouldn't be killed by sneak melee or "regular melee" right after opening a door, and the bonus would make the melee character also reliable in open space.

If you think about other option to replace the damage output, feel free to contribute.

If you don't think you have anything worthy to add, or that it doesn't grab your attention, feel free to comment other threads instead.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 09:41:52 AM by naossano »
You speak french and love Fallout, Wasteland and post-apocalyptic culture ? Join us now.
http://fallout-generation.com

SnowCrash

• Wastelander
  • Ninja Lawyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2014, 10:52:41 AM »

Im start to getting tired of your QQ about that melee insta kills any player. Before you keep with this, try to play a melee build, and see how frustrating can be any times get killed without a chance to fight back, or see your enemies escape from you with almost no health. Or be in ZC and have to wait inside building for a chance to fight. Yes, you can have a backup weapon, but you dont get the max range, or perks.

Again, melee its a situational skill and it should be powerful on those situations, It have also lot of counters (suppression, winded, cripple legs). And even waki sneakers arent that powerful as you want to make people believe, yes, they are the only class that can kill you with 2 hits, but that has a huge luck factor and only happens few times. I have scape sneakers after being backstabbed lot of times, and lot of players scape from my sneaker. Always watch your back and run every time you see a sneaker, AC can evade most of the strikes as sneakers have -3PE.

It of course need tweaks, balance, and fixes (those damn ghost shoots), and im in favor of a damage reduction in exchange for a speed bonus.  But its not an insta win for melee or game breaking as you want to state.

Anza

• Experienced Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2014, 11:54:32 AM »

Okay I'm gonna try to make a clearer post about what I think about that

1. Melee/Sneak Melee KO chances, I think this is OK, deagle .50 has high potential of KO too for example, and if you land a good KO on someone, you have high chances of winning the fight. One issue though : auto-KD from supersledge. I think everyone understand that melees are very situational and are very strong in closed areas. With supersledge, it's just insta win on 1v1, and still good asset on ZC when in buildings (because the enemy is likely to be pushed against a wall so not so far). If you give auto-KD on Thrust only, it will be more balanced because people atm can just chain Swing for ~27ap, waiting for a KO roll. If you take a Mirkor shot (auto-KD) as a comparison, it takes a lot of ap and it doesn't make lots of damage (+ no KO possibilty).

2. No aiming time for Melee/Sneak Melee weapons. Another thing is that there is aiming time on aimed shots but not on aimed melee attacks, giving this feeling of insta kill when u get hit by twice 150+ dam in 2 sec, while a ranged attacker will take more time (and thus lowering the dps burst). In my opinion, this cannot be changed, if you add aiming time, Melee/Sneak Melee won't land any attack, so something can be balanced elsewhere (I know, it's very complicated). I am stating this issue more to explain the feeling of insta death than anything else. I'll add the fact the this feeling of insta death is only relevant on 1v1 vs sneaker melee, it doesnt happen a lot in ZC (it's more focus fire fest that insta kills)

3. Speed bonus. I don't think Melee characters should have more base speed than Ranged. Atm if a ranged char encounters a melee char, there is a chance to flee for both most of the time.
  a. Range sees Melee on a street, Range can shoot Melee to death before Melee reaches him, so Melee will just run away or at least cut LoS. Range can follow him but there is no point except getting caught in a trap.
  b. Melee tries to ambush Range in a building, Range sees Melee close to him and decides to run away. Melee can follow him but there is no point.
If you want to close the distance faster, there are already tools to make you faster, like leather jacket or voodoo. Run speed is a very strong asset, you need to sacrifice something to get it.

4. Melees in ZC. It is not more frustating to play Melee or Range in ZC imo, Melee characters will play with covers/buildings, while long ranged characters will want an opened area. There are of course characters in between (pistols, shotguns, etc). If you get frustrated because you can only fight in buildings, then Melee is not your playstyle that's it. Imagine a sniper could also complain he is frustrated he can only fight in opened areas. You see enemies escape with almost no health, well it is the same for ranged... Gunfights are usually not at 1 hex, so people just run away, cutting los and zoning out. Again if you have a target running away with low life, just take a voodoo and go after him you'll kill him.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 12:22:18 PM by Anza »

PusiteGA

• Phoenix Contributor
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2014, 08:27:22 PM »

i am mele and i think SuperS is OP autoKnockdown shoud be only on thrust, and swing shoud have 40% or somting like thet, about runing speed i  still think it shoud be added

Anywey what mele wapons ara aimable cuz i tryed only combat knife and its buged when i set to aim it wont attack
Machete works Tested, anywey does Speer get bonus from Havy Hand?
« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 08:59:29 AM by PusiteGA »

naossano

• Alpha Explorer
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Fallout Génération
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2014, 10:45:19 AM »

Again, melee its a situational skill and it should be powerful on those situations,

I think i have to state it once, but i agree that melee should be powerful on specific situations, and i am quite happy to see some players use melee in ZC AND have some efficience. It is a welcome change from FO2238, in which the guy who dared bring a sledge in a TC was considered as a joke, and maybe even shot on sight by his buddies. IMO, the more different types of builds, the better. Regardless the option chosen (if there is a chosen option), the melee should remain strong and situationnal.

The problem is that, from the way it is, if you open a door and see a melee, or if a sneak melee come near you, you are done. You didn't even had the opportunity to fight. In a server which 99% of the fight people need entire minutes to kill each other (if they both play well), this guy just have an insta-kill button, that kill both the opponement, and the fun of the fight, as the death happened before the fight even started. I would be more than happy if the melee manage to remain strong, but with a fight actually taking place.
You speak french and love Fallout, Wasteland and post-apocalyptic culture ? Join us now.
http://fallout-generation.com

PusiteGA

• Phoenix Contributor
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2014, 02:17:10 PM »

Lol Luiswill Sluger has AP of 45 and 2 handed super S has 30 total unlogical and 1 more thing then combat knife shoud be 10AP cuz you can stab 10 times in 1 sec and for swinging big hammer you would need 2-3 sec...
i think Super S needs nerf add AP cost to 55

paragon

« Reply #48 on: December 25, 2014, 02:38:24 PM »

> "stab 10 times in 1 sec"
maximum 4 (most probably 3) and if completely without distance/reverse. Very short movements which in most cases takes holding the target with the second hand and if target do not defend.
This an example of middle distance stabbing: http://youtu.be/E61jnJe_1SI?t=1m2s . 8 hits in 4 seconds.

BTW, you can shoot a pistol 3 times a second as well.

Now back to the game: it's not connected to the reality in most of the cases if you think about it closely. Even though there are many things which could be rebalanced in a better way, it should be a work on every weapon and not just one. Basically, it's just not a priority right now as there are no people who are able and willing to do it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip