seriously, how do i mine? i have a pickaxe and i heard that you cna mine ores

Myakot

• Global Moderator
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Eng\Rus Mod
    • View Profile
Re: Mining
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2014, 12:11:39 PM »

Select your inventory using context menu, when targeted on a mineral deposit, then select your pickaxe.
I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and the stuff together...
Okay, 3, 2, 1, let's jam!

PyrO

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 12:24:42 PM »

Or put the pickaxe in your hand and click it. Now click the ore deposit and it mines (if there is some left)

Graves

• Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2014, 12:51:26 PM »

I'll add this as an added advanced tip of sorts.

Place the Pickaxe in an active slot.  Put any weapon in your other slot.  Press 'B' to change to your weapon.  Press 'A' to pull up the attack cursor.  Press 'B' again which will change to the pickaxe but leave the targeting cursor.  Click target, gather resources. 

May not be worth knowing to all, but I found it quite handy on saving my wrist lots of clicking back and forth.  This effectively makes it towhere you can hold the cursor in one place and rock between 'B' and 'A' until you have to reposition due to resource exhaustion.  :)

EDIT:  It's worth knowing that this works for using Knives on plants, Hatchets on trees, and any other gathering you may try to do.

faopcurious

• Outdoorsman Veteran
  • War.... War always changes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2014, 03:20:47 PM »

Or put the pickaxe in your hand and click it. Now click the ore deposit and it mines (if there is some left)

does that work now?

Graves

• Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2014, 03:33:08 PM »

does that work now?

To my most recent experience, yes, at least for the mine in the vault.  There's just no way of telling what's got ore and what's empty short of making a circuit checking every spot.  That said, other players trying to mine makes it a little more difficult because you wind up often hitting spots that the other just hit.  :P  Off-hours were the best experience for me, but even then I didn't find many others taking advantage of the ability to mine.

Prosector

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2014, 10:06:06 AM »

This effectively makes it towhere you can hold the cursor in one place and rock between 'B' and 'A' until you have to reposition due to resource exhaustion.  :)

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed. I will try this. Will it work with pickaxe too? pickaxes dont have the "use on" feature so the only way I could use them is from the backpack.

Graves

• Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2014, 10:26:22 AM »

Yep.  I want to say despite the lack of a 'Use On' on the Pickaxe, I'm pretty sure you can still click it to get a targeting cursor and use it like so, but I always just found it easier to carry a knife (if bluesuiting) or something of similar lightweight.  If you can take a few seconds to get used to flipping back and forth before long it will save you a LOT of time if you spend any considerable amount harvesting.  Quite a happy accident when I found this out.  :)

Edit:  The Hatchet also lacks an overlay saying it can 'Use On' but like the Pickaxe it can as well.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 10:28:27 AM by Graves »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip