Author Topic: G.E.C.K  (Read 8026 times)

LIMBleech

• Wanderer
    • View Profile
G.E.C.K
« on: January 19, 2015, 11:53:47 PM »

Picture the Lord of the rings. Everyone is fighting for power, and the one thing everyone wants is the ring. I have a similar idea.

Bring the GECK item into the game randomly, could be ANYWHERE in the core. And it makes the user or faction in control of it very powerful. However there is a limit, it must be brought into a TZ every 3 days or it will disintegrate from that persons control and appear the next day back somewhere in the core, where anyone could stumble upon it, do you use it for evil and take it out during your travels? Or do you activate it and (wipe/do something to the sever (also deleting your character in possession of it) ???

Remember this item is ever flowing around, changing hands constantly, and in the intermission after a TZ has been won, those 30 seconds to kill the looters/people pissing you off, could be factional chaos over who loots the GECK. It is like a superior currency, and it controls everyone and no one. Do you fight to keep it out of the wrong hands? Do you want it for yourself? Do you want to see what happens when activated? Do you want it for your factions benefit?

It's up to you now.

Myakot

• Global Moderator
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Eng\Rus Mod
    • View Profile
Re: G.E.C.K
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 12:01:20 AM »

Too many cooks, Too many cooks...
-1, this suggestion requires a lot of work to be put into and brings out close-to-none results. You didn't even suggest what would it grant. If it has to be an item that "everybody will want", then all the other activities will simply disappear (since none of them would matter compared to that one).
I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and the stuff together...
Okay, 3, 2, 1, let's jam!

LIMBleech

• Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 12:18:41 AM »

-1, this suggestion requires a lot of work to be put into and brings out close-to-none results. You didn't even suggest what would it grant. If it has to be an item that "everybody will want", then all the other activities will simply disappear (since none of them would matter compared to that one).

I agree it would be difficult but this does nothing but complement TZ and scavenging when the GECK is lost, dungeons and crafting are already a self sufficient organism for LVLing, fun and gear. But cool feedback bro!

Stem Sunders

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 06:35:21 AM »

Okay whats a TZ? A town zone?

-1 I know where you're coming from.
As far as lore is concerned G.E.C.K.s are supposed to be rare and extremely valuable.
However they are already in the game. During a retrieval assignment what you're actually retrieving is a number of G.E.C.K.s. (The little silver briefcases)

In honesty I would prefer if we didn't call them G.E.C.K.s and we just relabeled them as cases of drugs, medical supplies or information.

Feel weird to be collecting 3 G.E.C.K.s, you know those things that supposedly bring life to the wasteland.

Anza

• Experienced Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2015, 07:08:16 AM »

It would be nice a get something like a relic that gives advantage to the owner or faction, sure, but it would be too hard to balance it, especially as we have many timezones in the playerbase. Let's say US players get the relic, they can bring it every 3 days with no enemies online. One possible thing would be "the relic can't leave the core", you have to let it in a zone controlled by your faction.

It could be carried a bit like the flags, but you can carry it more time maybe. To get bonuses you have to put it on a specific area in whatever zone you choose, so everyone can check for this. It should be seen from everywhere (like a ZC message). Could be a nice way to make people use more traps, even sneaks would have more versatile jobs.

And make it a slight bonus, not so important so people would rather ZC or do both than just chase relics. And when it's small scale pvp, it can make people gather at the same place  ;D

But yeah, as said above, not a GECK please, just another relic !!!

LIMBleech

• Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2015, 07:50:22 AM »

I guess it sounded cooler in my head

Stem Sunders

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2015, 07:59:32 AM »

I guess it sounded cooler in my head

The idea is cool, just not quite right for Phoenix imo.
I think most people enjoy new ideas. :)

Faction balance is already a little weird what with time zones and stuff, and thats without one faction being in control of something that makes them collectively more powerful.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 08:08:48 AM by Stem Sunders »

cirn0

• No Name Yet Team
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
  • That's Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2015, 11:19:56 AM »

Those are what the flags are for. Currently, it only gives EXP for holding them but soon.
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FEATURES! YOU'LL REGRET THIS!

Stem Sunders

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 11:30:04 AM »

Those are what the flags are for. Currently, it only gives EXP for holding them but soon.

So will the possession of flags eventually give a faction wide buff/boost?

cirn0

• No Name Yet Team
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
  • That's Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 12:12:58 PM »

Yes. It will affect the faction.
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FEATURES! YOU'LL REGRET THIS!

Stem Sunders

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2015, 12:29:22 PM »

Like I said above I hope something like this doesn't simply make the faction in possession OP, like a buff to their stats or something. Just opinion.

Myakot

• Global Moderator
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Eng\Rus Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2015, 12:30:48 PM »

Like I said above I hope something like this doesn't simply make the faction in possession OP, like a buff to their stats or something. Just opinion.
TLAmk2 has "Phoenix military base", which needs to be defended weekly. Apart from +5 PE (to every character in faction) it also grants a monopoly on manufacturing Hypo, and THAT'S balanced. Because it's not easy to defend ;).

So I'm not against flags giving stat bonuses.

Stem Sunders

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2015, 12:34:56 PM »

TLAmk2 has "Phoenix military base", which needs to be defended weekly. Apart from +5 PE (to every character in faction) it also grants a monopoly on manufacturing Hypo, and THAT'S balanced. Because it's not easy to defend ;).

So I'm not against flags giving stat bonuses.
....That isn't balance.

When they're not defending this facility weekley they are probably pwning everyone else due to their stat increases.

Imo thats just offering a massive boost concerning PvP in return for doing what? defending a base from npcs once a week?
regardless of how hard that is to do, the reward for doing so would only make one faction stronger while keeping the others down.

If other factions couldn't capture this facility in the first place how are they supposed to defend it from whatever it is attacks every week?
thus allowing the same occupier to keep occupying and remain the strongest with no real chance of contest

I should add I've never played the game but what you just described does not seem balanced to me.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 12:44:36 PM by Stem Sunders »

RazorRamon

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2015, 12:43:14 PM »

Yeah, that base defence thing just sounds like something that just makes the rich richer and the poor poorer. Something that aop has successfully managed to avoid so far compared to the shittier incarnations of fonline.

Myakot

• Global Moderator
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Eng\Rus Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2015, 01:05:15 PM »

Having a massive amount of people in a faction is not cost-effective, for each member+ you have to pay (originalcost+50% I believe). So you can't just insta-gib everybody.

5 PE DOESN'T make you jack of all trades or a super-hulk capable or killing everyone, it merely helps vs sneakers.

No NPC defending lol, player defending for HOURS. 4 floors with 3 exits is NOT easy to defend (with dedicated spawning points for defenders, which are easy to camp).

I never said those were NPC waves =\.

Spoiler for Hiden:
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 01:08:06 PM by Myakot »

Stem Sunders

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2015, 01:58:57 PM »

I'm not saying you did, I don't want to put words in your mouth.

They were actually questions, like I said I never played the game so had no idea what you were talking about. I only had your short description to go on, which I identified as unbalanced.
It may be totally the opposite in that game I have no knowledge of it.

Of course with anything there are always other factors to consider, nothing is just black and white.
I just want to express my distaste for cut and dried simple mechanics concerning rewards for capturable spaces/objects.

Often its the biggest faction that is and remains the strongest.
Sometimes I think that can be chalked up to the rewards they are receiving for what often seems to be nothing more than having the most players around and online the most time in total. Giving them superior opportunity and strength in numbers to carry on maintaining these rewards/buffs.

It being cost effective isn't always an issue, but I would know about that in terms of the other FOnline titles.
Infact I think its more cost effective the more people you have here in Phoenix...Ya know?

« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 02:07:23 PM by Stem Sunders »

Myakot

• Global Moderator
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Eng\Rus Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2015, 02:15:53 PM »

You did Not carefully read this :P. The most powerfull platoon/faction will hold it, eh? With 3 (!!!) spots to enter the base? If V-Tec would swarm it, can 1 swarm defend from 3 other swarms for multiple hours in this battle of attrition? (Bandaged status would mean a heck-of-a-lot).
The very same thing would happen with the "flag" here, you won't be fighting an honest platoon X platoon in a dedicated arena.
But that's sadly not the case, such a thing couldn't possibly be easy to balance, but if they want to try it, why not?

Stem Sunders

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2015, 02:27:48 PM »

Oh I'm not saying it can't be done and I'm definitely not saying they shouldn't give it a go, especially on my account.
We can agree it probably won't be easy.

I read everything three times, and when I said that about most powerful I wasnt talking in regards to that game anymore. You already told me and I took your word for it.
It may be "Balanced" over there (I cannot comment) but my concern is over here. I wonder about/fear the outcome not for my sakes but for the sake of every player.
Like i've said I haven't played that game, obviously never going to play that game, so you see it and understand it in ways I cannot.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 02:35:22 PM by Stem Sunders »

LIMBleech

• Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 03:14:59 AM »

The only time the other activities will disappear is for around 1 hour every 3 days, the GECK could have a charge rate so to not be abused and it would indeed be 3 factions vs 1 until one faction had it. To avoid the faction just going into ZC and leaving, the faction would have to retake that zone with the GECK and the GECK would give them bonuses when not in ZC regardless. I'll think of them

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip