Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Encounters  (Read 25574 times)

Hang-Lip

• Phoenix Contributor
  • Wastelander
  • Got a smoke?
    • View Profile
Encounters
« on: November 09, 2014, 05:31:46 PM »

Will forced encounters be re enabled at some point?

AKA Ox-Skull.
Hang-Lip graffiti by Stem Sunders.

MARXMAN

• Wiki Editor
  • Experienced Survivor
  • Trickshotting Legendaries since before it was cool
    • View Profile
Re: Encounters
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2014, 12:09:48 AM »

We talking about the world map?  If so I hope not, world map encounters just slow down things for players IMO, and it's nice to not be forced into crap while traveling.  This is only my personal opinion, but my guess is that a lot of 2238 vets want it.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 12:25:20 AM »

I remember that a dev once said that encounters aren't really needed in AoP

Hang-Lip

• Phoenix Contributor
  • Wastelander
  • Got a smoke?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 12:44:22 AM »

Then what the hell am i making random enc maps for?
If this is so, then it sucks fucking hard.

As captain chilly has stated several times, Fo server based only on PVP will die.
which it didnt take long to do.

Take a gander where all the players are at? Not here. I stopped playing Fo2 cuz of my loyalty to AoP.
Now i hear this shit.

Devs you wasted your time creating lore for this, as no one gives a shit about it. Just reduce the WM to core. So theres no travelling at all.

If dev sees this, and above shit is true, plz remove my contributer status.

Before some dick says it, YES my butthurts.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 12:49:51 AM by Hang-Lip »

AKA Ox-Skull.

MARXMAN

• Wiki Editor
  • Experienced Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 12:56:34 AM »

As captain chilly has stated several times, Fo server based only on PVP will die.

Take a gander where all the players are at? Not here. I stopped playing Fo2 cuz of my loyalty to AoP.
Now i hear this shit.

Devs you wasted your time creating lore for this, as no one gives a shit about it. Just reduce the WM to core. So theres no travelling at all.

I'm not a dev, but Random Enc maps could DEFINITELY still be used for popping into WM squares.  I see your point about noone wanting PVP, it's a sad but true fact that everyone is playing FO2 because farming bullshit and caps. I would be in support of random encounters for some people's need for more diverse PVE, but as I said not my cup o tea.

I give a shit about lore, as do most players, and a lot of people want an expanded WM with more locations and towns and things. but as it is NOW, you have: 4 bases, the Core, respective mining companies and that new dungeon. With such little travel, why would encounters be needed before the map was more fleshed out?

Hang-Lip

• Phoenix Contributor
  • Wastelander
  • Got a smoke?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2014, 01:28:47 AM »

Forced encs make the wasteland what it should be... dangerous to travel and unpredictable.

Not boohoo i need to get back to the fight as quik as possible. that just makes it a deathmatch game and not an mmo.

AKA Ox-Skull.

MARXMAN

• Wiki Editor
  • Experienced Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2014, 01:29:40 AM »

Forced encs make the wasteland what it should be... dangerous to travel.

Not boohoo i need to get back to the fight as quik as possible. that just makes it a deathmatch game and not an mmo.

touche

Captain Chilly

• Experienced Survivor
  • Professional memelord i nthe making
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 02:59:00 AM »

Now i hear this shit.

Before some dick says it, YES my butthurts.

i remember that you would instantly travel to the core upon exiting your base in the beta
and i'm surprised someone reads the shit i post
but anyways, look at Fonline2: it has pvp, which happens in a fun way of planting traps for newbies or events ,but it has a shitload of fun stuff that you can do with your friends without some overpowered asshole stomping you, like raider camps, caravans, quests or dungeons

if anything, i say removng those things kills the fallout experience, which is exactly what happened to AoP, it's a fun game with great mechanics, but it still needs a LOT of work

Niamak

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 03:44:15 AM »

it has a shitload of fun stuff that you can do with your friends without some overpowered asshole stomping you, like raider camps, caravans, quests or dungeons

wat

fo2 has shitload of PVE content which can lead to PVP, we can agree to that.

I wish there were no world map and assignment in AoP. If I wanted the wasteland experience, I might as well play fo2 or even better fallout 2.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 03:53:05 AM by Niamak »

lvhoang

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 04:01:59 AM »

I know a lot of players who just connect to see if there is any PVP or ZC going on. Then if they see low activity, they disconnect right away.
meaning, no one actually plays except for a few players.

So the key to getting more players would be to introduce more PvE activities to get more people online. And when they re all online, they will play together much more (PvP, PvE, RP).

See what i did there? :)
I think this concept will be healthy for a bigger player base.

Hang-Lip

• Phoenix Contributor
  • Wastelander
  • Got a smoke?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 04:46:38 AM »

I just really hope S.T.A.L.K.E.R. was just blowing air.

The mechanics in AoP, as far as im concerned are beyond compare to any other FOnline server.
Even with the lack of content, I will never go back to 1hex mechanics.

I wish I had some idea of coding anglescript, so i could help with more, than just maps.  :'(

I dont really know shang that well, but in the yrs of playing fonline i know he likes roleplay, to me thats a good sign for the server.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 05:09:36 AM by Hang-Lip »

AKA Ox-Skull.

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 05:26:39 AM »

You can still enter the random encounter maps to fight NPCs, hunting encounters style, so they aren't going to waste. Also outdoorsman being disabled at the moment makes me think they might reintroduce random encounters for that, but there isn't a lot outside of phoenix to explore, so mostly you will just have encounters when trying to get back into pvp fights in the core, or while you are on your way to an assignment.

As far as fonline 2 goes, there is so much broken and unbalanced (also forgotten about, unused) mechanics and systems in the game that they seem to never intend to fix. So yeah it seems like PvE does draw in bigger crowds (also the "canon" aspect for some reason people go apeshit for, even though it is broken and unbalanced and has been for ~10 years), because the combat system in that is just plain weak in comparison to AoP.

Fonline 2 pvp = "are you a burster with these exact 8 perks (or a tank)?.. No? Then go away or reroll newb cos u won't be able to one hex one shot or triple burst at a distance"

So many roles to play. Hmmm, tank or tanky burster hmmm...

Hang-Lip

• Phoenix Contributor
  • Wastelander
  • Got a smoke?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 06:51:05 AM »

Entering an enc isn't the same as a forced one.

Forced enc means, 2 groups could be fighting each other, Hostile npc's have 'spotted' you and are preceding to attack you. Encountering another player. (unsafe) Must ready yourself.

Entering an enc by choice means there will be no NPC's on intial entering. (safe)

AKA Ox-Skull.

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2014, 07:05:43 AM »

Well that mechanic would have to be implemented, forced encounters is one thing but players encountering other players I assume requires a bit more work (unless it can be easily ripped from the 2238 source material), especially to do it well, and unlike 2238 there aren't many WM locations to travel to, so the player encounters would likely be ambushes at the gate paths only (and if you are ambushing people you might as well do it at their gate or just inside).

I'd say, that there would need to be more WM locations (like the pvpve "dungeon" and "wave defense") around the place for WM player encounters to be necessary.

Forced encounters by them self though, I'm sure wouldn't be as difficult.

Hang-Lip

• Phoenix Contributor
  • Wastelander
  • Got a smoke?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 07:17:26 AM »

Encountering another player thats already in a forced enc is like a core feature of fonline.

If the devs can code a masterful combat system, this should be a piece of cake.

Camping faction gates................

AKA Ox-Skull.

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 07:25:12 AM »

Yeah I know but like I said doing it well, as opposed to just force dropping players who are walking in the same tile where another player(s) is already fighting an encounter is far from perfect and would have almost no impact on the game as is.

(I assume factions go to different locations when encounter hunting and the only "high traffic" areas would be the paths from HQ to gate or sewer to HQ).

good guy

• Wastelander
  • its fun to be scared sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 09:18:41 AM »

it would be nice to see that there is no way to avoid whatever has found you in an  encounter and forced to fight it it also helps knowing what you are actually facing instead of just hoping its not a group of bootleggers or bounty hunters
watch these 2 videos when you feel down
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:

SnowCrash

• Wastelander
  • Ninja Lawyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 09:46:43 AM »

Forced encs make the wasteland what it should be... dangerous to travel and unpredictable.

First of all, i think most players, even those in FO2, hate forced random enc (thats the reason why most chars raise outdoor asap)

Second, here random enc works completely different. When you enter in a WM enc, any group of creatures may spawn, some even close to you, and some goups also spawn while you are in the encounter. I have die many times while hunting geckos or gather fibers by being ambushed by raiders or other critters.

So for me random encounter are still dangerous and unpredictable. And im fine with their current implementation.

What we need its more reasons to go to random encounters. Farm special resources, some quest involving killing cetaing ammount of critters, and stuff like that. Not something that make profitable to do only random encounter, but some stuff that makes you have to go to random encounters from time to time
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 10:32:26 AM by SnowCrash »

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 10:03:57 AM »

How about making the surrounding wasteland just like phoenix itself, as a series of connected maps, each representing one of the previous world map squares, NPC groups would spawn in the maps as they do now, and the random encounter maps as they are (and any future ones) can be further utilised.

It's a big area so a lot of repetition would be needed (for example repeated use of the "road" map for the path to the gates etc), but even if you shrunk the overall size of the map it would be cool IMO.

Just an idea anyway.

edit; the sewer entrances could be two way, and a way to navigate would be helpful though (maybe using the current worldmap as a pipboy map).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 10:09:34 AM by mAdman »

good guy

• Wastelander
  • its fun to be scared sometimes
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2014, 10:08:27 AM »

How about making the surrounding wasteland just like phoenix itself, as a series of connected maps, each representing one of the previous world map squares, groups would spawn in the maps as they do now, and the random encounter maps as they are (and any future ones) can be further utilised.

It's a big area so a lot of repetition would be needed (for example repeated use of the "road" map for the path to the gates etc), but even if you shrunk the overall size of the map it would be cool IMO.

Just an idea anyway.
it is a good idea in my opinion
watch these 2 videos when you feel down
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip