Author Topic: New purpose for AC  (Read 8318 times)

faopcurious

• Outdoorsman Veteran
  • War.... War always changes.
    • View Profile
New purpose for AC
« on: August 28, 2014, 12:23:51 PM »

Apparently you do not like AC effecting hit chance in weird ways to avoid confusion so you decided to scrap it for now.
Here are some ideas to change AC.

Have AC cap at say 40, Give some of the lower armors that have less damage resistance more AC than the higher combat armors for the sake of balance/tactics.

and either:

1: AC = %   direct chance to resist suppressive fire, and % resist bleeding(chance that weapon won't make you bleed.

2:  AC = % chance that bypasses, and crits won't be so bad?

3: if an attack does max damage, AC = % chance that it will be median damage ( so if a weapon does 4-10 damage, and current attack does 10, it has AC % chance to only do 7
( maybe this is too much like damage resistance?)

4: Max AC is 50 (keep in mind armors with less damage resist wil have higher AC)
Enemy hit chance - (AC/5)  so if enemy has 95% hit chance shooting someone with 50AC their hit chance is now 85% max.
OR
AC penalty = AC/5 = 10 at 50 ac
5: 10% of their current hit chance. so 95*.9 =   85.5%   but someone with 40% hit chance is 40*.9 = 36  if shooting someone with max AC of 50.

Personally I like (5)  and maybe (1) or (2.)
5 still modifies hit chance, but it is not too complicated, if that is still not what you wanted I recommend something along the lines of 1 or 2.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2014, 12:41:49 PM by faopcurious »

Lidae

• No Name Yet Team
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
  • Wasteland scientist
    • View Profile
Re: New purpose for AC
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 03:03:11 PM »

Thanks for the ideas. Here are my thoughts.

1. Resisting suppressive fire and bleed are already handled by other derived stats, so that would make Armor Class abundant. Could just give such bonuses to the resistances directly.
2. The concept has some potential I think, though bypass resistance is already handled in a different derived stat.
3. Indeed this seems like DR with variance.
4 & 5. Same problem as with the last AC system. Either the effect is so small it will just be ignored, or it will matter and you have the same issues as now. Sounds good on paper, but it just doesn't feel good playing it, is my experience.

The second idea might be on to something though, I will think about it.

cirn0

• No Name Yet Team
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
  • That's Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 05:21:33 PM »

How about AC affecting move speed.
And have it based off Volume * Weight.
And have the same for weapons as well?
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FEATURES! YOU'LL REGRET THIS!

faopcurious

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 06:29:36 PM »

How about AC affecting move speed.
And have it based off Volume * Weight.
And have the same for weapons as well?

lol what >_>  i dont want to run slower if i have more gear if that is what you mean.

SnowCrash

• Wastelander
  • Ninja Lawyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 06:53:25 PM »

Here's my suggestion

First, rename AC to Dodge
Dodge determines your ability to react quickly allowing you to prottect beeter against area damage. And also determines your ability to avoid melee attacks

In game bonus:
Reduce any AoE damage (so any burst attack or explosion regardless its damage type) by a percent determined by the AC (Yes, it sound like DR, but only applies to some weapons)
The reduction takes place before the current damage reduction formula. So if a burst attack normally deal a base damage of 100 and target AC its 20 it will be dealing 80 damage then the other factors are applied(DR,DT, critical, etc).

At melee combat it reduce the max chance to hit of your opponent, but your melee skill will reduce this penalty by 10% of your skill lvl.
So if you have 15 AC and the attacking player has 100 melee skill it will have a final chance to hit of 90.
Now melee chance to hit its always 95%. With this approach your skills will also impact on this chance, so if the enemy has 25 AC any char with 250 melee will still have 95 to hit

Base AC = 5+LK/2 + AG
Armors modifiers:
-Jacket = 0
-Leather = -5
-Metal= -10
-Combat = -15

Traits & Perks
dodger perk:+10 AC
kamikaze: -10 AC

max AC= Base 20, +10 (dodger) = 30

Against a target with max AC
-A char with 50 in melee weapons will have 70 (95 -30 +5) max chance to hit in melee
-A char with 250 in melee weapons will have 90 (95 -30 +25) max chance to hit in melee

30% damage reduction may seems a bit too much, but you need a char with 10 AG 10LK + dodger and wearing jacket armor. Other option can be to have the bonus halved when you are standing, and the full bonus only while running.
Also this may probably require to buff AoE weapons damage by 10%-15%, which will be an intermediate value.

faopcurious

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 07:08:20 PM »

Still sounds like different variants of damage resist, and lowering hit chance.

SnowCrash

• Wastelander
  • Ninja Lawyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2014, 10:15:10 PM »

I dont see a problem with AC becoming other way to reduce damage as long as the bonus its situational. The original purpose for the AC static was to make you harder to get hit, that itself its a way to reduce damage and also secondary effects.

And the chance reduction in melee its only to add more flavor to melee combat. I dont think that will end becoming annoying

Lidae

• No Name Yet Team
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
  • Wasteland scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2014, 07:00:11 PM »

Those are some nice ideas SnowCrash, especially the hit chance reduction for melees. Thanks! Will think on this some more, but it sounds like it has some potential.

faopcurious

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2014, 07:10:26 PM »

What if AC did the % - hit chance so 20 = 20% hit chance(20% of CURRENT hit chance so 20% of 50 - 10), but only some items got it, like leather coat, and maybe some new special robes?
So you can have a new kind of robes, maybe only 15% damage resist, but have maybe 30-40 AC?

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip