Author Topic: Bring back science in core  (Read 7452 times)

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

Bring back science in core
« on: February 07, 2015, 06:29:11 PM »

Seriously, just because one guy started crying and dev didn't get his PKS is no reason to remove this feature.

There is many stuff to science in core

MARXMAN

• Wiki Editor
  • Experienced Survivor
  • Trickshotting Legendaries since before it was cool
    • View Profile
Re: Bring back science in core
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 07:38:11 PM »

I'll just leave this here.  Posted it in one of the changelogs a while ago.

Think about it logically, does it really make sense for you to stop what you're doing, sit down, and begin the intensive dismantling of a weapon or other item (that would also require tools + a workbench IRL) in the middle of an incredibly hostile zone?  Regardless of contestation and how much I like sciencing items for parts+XP, it really makes no sense for your character to let his guard down in any part of the core.  Hamster it all out and then start the science.

Moebius

• Wanderer
  • The Little Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 07:57:59 PM »

You can't really count Realism as an argument in AoP. So many things are incoherent if you try to make sense out of them. Bringing back science should be for the sake of practicality.
"Kek Kek Kek Kek Kek"
-Grease Gun

Teela

• Wiki Editor
  • Experienced Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 08:37:45 PM »

You can't really count Realism as an argument in AoP. So many things are incoherent if you try to make sense out of them. Bringing back science should be for the sake of practicality.

Moebius: the point here is Brave soldier Stalker who is on his way to Maryland sewers who tends to science his gear just before the enemy takes it. I'm all for practicality. I'm all against being such a sore loser.
RazorRamon:
i literally have 卐TÜRKENJÄGER1488卐 tattooed on my back

naossano

• Alpha Explorer
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Fallout Génération
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 08:42:41 PM »

What about forbidding science during contest ?

Beside that, who the hell is dumb enough to science its stuff during battle ? Does it represent more than 0,0001% of the playerbase ? And why the hell whining about some loot that isn't yours anyway ? If they want to science it before you reach them, it is their problem, as they couldn't use it agains't you. You lose absolutly nothing by not looting them. Stuff isn't yours as long as they are alive.

I don't see why the remaining 99,9999% of the server should be forbidden to science stuff during scavenging, because of two lunatics that science their stuff in battle, and five other lunatics that actually care about it. It like punishing everyone for the mistake of a few, a mistake that have meaningless consequences as a whole.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 08:49:47 PM by naossano »
You speak french and love Fallout, Wasteland and post-apocalyptic culture ? Join us now.
http://fallout-generation.com

Moebius

• Wanderer
  • The Little Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 08:43:34 PM »

What about adding a cooldown then ? Which makes you unable to science items in a row or makes sure you don't do it in contested zones or cells with hostile presence nearby.
Though to be honest, uncrafting gear in sewers before the enemy catches you feels logical. You would want to destroy/dump your intel or gear in the sewage water if you're sure they'll get you.
"Kek Kek Kek Kek Kek"
-Grease Gun

Teela

• Wiki Editor
  • Experienced Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 09:08:33 PM »

Stalker is always the first one to run, hence the sewers.
But anyways. I come to PVP with a motherload of gear on me. If I die, so be it. if I win, I expect to loot.

I go into battle with an AS50, 25 BMG, a Milkor, 30 grenades, a support MKIII, 2 field medic FA kits, 3 superstimpacks, 3 stimpacks, 14 food, 1 voodoo, 1 smoke grenade and an auto defib.

And I'm not going to science it. SORE LOSER.
RazorRamon:
i literally have 卐TÜRKENJÄGER1488卐 tattooed on my back

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 09:14:11 PM »

Moebius: the point here is Brave soldier Stalker who is on his way to Maryland sewers who tends to science his gear just before the enemy takes it. I'm all for practicality. I'm all against being such a sore loser.
uhm...out of the whole time of playing AoP I only scienced my gear twice

dunno where you getting maryland sewers from.

What about adding a cooldown then ? Which makes you unable to science items in a row or makes sure you don't do it in contested zones or cells with hostile presence nearby.
Though to be honest, uncrafting gear in sewers before the enemy catches you feels logical. You would want to destroy/dump your intel or gear in the sewage water if you're sure they'll get you.
fuck cool downs, don't bring that shit in AoP :V

I'll just leave this here.  Posted it in one of the changelogs a while ago.

Think about it logically, does it really make sense for you to stop what you're doing, sit down, and begin the intensive dismantling of a weapon or other item (that would also require tools + a workbench IRL) in the middle of an incredibly hostile zone?  Regardless of contestation and how much I like sciencing items for parts+XP, it really makes no sense for your character to let his guard down in any part of the core.  Hamster it all out and then start the science.
you really think people are going to pick up every very bad weapon they see and take it back to base just to science it? I'm so used to using science on shit gear I pick up from enemies. Some V-tecs have 40% metal armors MKII and I'm like, who the fuck takes that to battle but oh wait no I CANT SCIENCE ANYMORE so I drop it

Stalker is always the first one to run, hence the sewers.
But anyways. I come to PVP with a motherload of gear on me. If I die, so be it. if I win, I expect to loot.
uhm..forum PvP somewhere else you degenerate. Also I'm usually the last one alive so that's what forces me to run, but don't expect me to run anymore since family got its shit together

I go into battle with an AS50, 25 BMG, a Milkor, 30 grenades, a support MKIII, 2 field medic FA kits, 3 superstimpacks, 3 stimpacks, 14 food, 1 voodoo, 1 smoke grenade and an auto defib.
I know, you always have that when I loot your body 
Spoiler for Hiden:

Stem Sunders

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2015, 10:17:56 PM »

I want to be able to science gear in the core too +1.

>"I'm all for practicality. I'm all against being such a sore loser." +1

>"What about forbidding science during contest ?" +1

Surely there has to be a better way than just banning it entirely. I agree its being a sore loser to science gear you believe you're about to lose.
I never saw or even heard of it, but to be sure it is a dick move.

However I think banning it during contested states only would serve as a decent solution.
And just ban it in the sewers entirely just for the sake of being sure it can't be taken advantage of there.

Additionally I have been known to spend extra time in the core to science useless gear, sometimes PvP happened that wouldn't have otherwise.

All the garbage grease guns taunt me, I want my 4exp darn it!

(Edit) What If only items of certain quality could be scienced in the core?

So the outstanding SAW and perfect armor you're wearing is a no no, but the garbage 9mm that bandit tried to bash me with can still be broken down into the pile of crap it deserves to be.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 10:32:18 PM by Stem Sunders »

RazorRamon

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2015, 04:38:21 AM »

Im well past the stage of wasting my time sciencing items and just buy 250er stacks of junk/alloys/metal parts/components for 1000 caps each at the heart merchant

naossano

• Alpha Explorer
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Fallout Génération
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2015, 04:54:36 AM »

While the guy who scienced his stuff might be a douche (dumb is the appropriate word, IMO), but it remains HIS choice. Nobody is entitled to some items that are carried by someone else. If they want to science it, it is their problem. Their are not stealing your stuff Teela, as you don't have it when they science those.

I am really tired about people that feel entitled to get the loot on battle. If you are lucky and manage to get the loot, it is good for you. If you aren't lucky and can't get it, maybe you can get it next time. That loot isn't yours, it could be, but as long as you didn't loot it yet, you have no right to it. No matter how much stuff you brought with you, looting the enemy is bonus, it is not something you automatically get, unlike XP/caps/reputation/fame.

The only loot that is "owned" IMO, is the stuff of fallen comrade when winning a fight. They brought it and it helped us to win. They should get it back after the fight.
You speak french and love Fallout, Wasteland and post-apocalyptic culture ? Join us now.
http://fallout-generation.com

Komrade

• Experienced Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2015, 05:15:13 AM »

Removing sciencing in core was partially correct.
Make it so that you can break weapons of the enemies so that they are unusable, you cant get xp or resources from it so its just unusable junk. You removed a tactical possibility of the battle system, for example I played as sneaker and killed andy who had a dsr with him, I looted him and broke his gun so that even if he is defibbed he cant play as heavy sniper anymore. Isn't that tactics ?

I like how removing sciencing in core was to stop players from abusing sciencing spears in the core.          

Also stalker Family had its shit together for a long time now, so please stfu and fall in line  :)

edit

Obviously I couldn't care less for loot.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 06:24:48 AM by Komrade »

Moebius

• Wanderer
  • The Little Loli
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2015, 06:44:57 AM »

Removing sciencing in core was partially correct.
Make it so that you can break weapons of the enemies so that they are unusable...

With the new LVL 21 perks that let you shoot out a weapon off someone's hands and fling it 5~ hexes away there could've been ways for some crazy plays.

Imagine it like a baseball game. Person aims right arm and shoot the kalashnikov away. A readied catcher launches himself toward the still-flying weapon, grabs it, and fully uncrafts it in a matter of milliseconds turning the once well and beautifully designed deathmachine into a pile of junk and wood in mid-air, before landing on the ground.
"Kek Kek Kek Kek Kek"
-Grease Gun

Komrade

• Experienced Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 08, 2015, 07:43:08 AM »

With the new LVL 21 perks that let you shoot out a weapon off someone's hands and fling it 5~ hexes away there could've been ways for some crazy plays.

Imagine it like a baseball game. Person aims right arm and shoot the kalashnikov away. A readied catcher launches himself toward the still-flying weapon, grabs it, and fully uncrafts it in a matter of milliseconds turning the once well and beautifully designed deathmachine into a pile of junk and wood in mid-air, before landing on the ground.

Been there done that  ;)
Stealing weapons was one of the most fun things to do with radsmg.

PusiteGA

• Phoenix Contributor
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 07:52:16 AM »

i dont agree of bringing siance back to core

nailbrain

• Experienced Survivor
  • Sper Trollwer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2015, 12:30:01 PM »

While the guy who scienced his stuff might be a douche (dumb is the appropriate word, IMO), but it remains HIS choice. Nobody is entitled to some items that are carried by someone else. If they want to science it, it is their problem. Their are not stealing your stuff Teela, as you don't have it when they science those.

I am really tired about people that feel entitled to get the loot on battle. If you are lucky and manage to get the loot, it is good for you. If you aren't lucky and can't get it, maybe you can get it next time. That loot isn't yours, it could be, but as long as you didn't loot it yet, you have no right to it. No matter how much stuff you brought with you, looting the enemy is bonus, it is not something you automatically get, unlike XP/caps/reputation/fame.

The only loot that is "owned" IMO, is the stuff of fallen comrade when winning a fight. They brought it and it helped us to win. They should get it back after the fight.

very very very well pointed there is no such thing as "my stuff" caried by enemy player
and of realism standpoint yes breaking items ,spoling food, posionig water and such are legit combat strategies
irl damging weapons or equipment so not to fall in enemy hands is quite easy and almost as fast as the sciencing in aop

all in all it made perfect sense and whoever used dat option was actualy good tactician not sore looser 
there is no such name as Biggus Dickus

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip