Author Topic: About AoP evolutions  (Read 11005 times)

mixer

• Wanderer
    • View Profile
About AoP evolutions
« on: February 18, 2014, 03:34:18 AM »

Все конечно прикольно, но ничего общего с Фалаутом не имеет, а жаль. Просто другая игра со спрайтами и криттерами из Фо.

Shangalar's edit: English google translation:

All certainly fun, but nothing to do with Fallout, which is a pity. Just another game with sprites and critters of Fo.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 05:41:00 PM by Shangalar »

Shangalar

• No Name Yet Team
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Dictatorial Tyrant
    • View Profile
Re: About AoP evolutions
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2014, 05:41:21 AM »

Game's background is hardly finished yet, but currently I wouldn't say that AoP is less a Fallout game than any other FOnline server. At least, we don't take such liberties with Fallout's story. We build something in parallel.

mixer

• Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2014, 04:47:00 PM »

I am not talking about background, but about mechanics and item/map design. For me as fallout fan it is just mess from not fitting with each other parts. Maybe i am just too conservative.

Shangalar

• No Name Yet Team
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Dictatorial Tyrant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 05:39:27 PM »

I don't really share your point as you can imagine :).

Considering the world, on my side I think it's extremely refreshing to finally play somewhere else. All teams working on the original maps often massacred them for their own amusement or for the sake of PvP balance. I can't blame them though, as I know well how time consuming Fallout mapping is. I also believe many of us spent enough time on those old maps already, and maybe wish to discover new horizons. After all, there are not many released Fallout mods that went as far as we did. Perhaps even none.

Concerning mechanics, I think many players have sticked to "the" FOnline gameplay for so long that perhaps they can't even see why it's bad anymore. Imho, that gameplay's just a dead moose. Our method was to start back from Fallout and try to avoid all the traps in which FOnline fell so far and that are still crippling its servers. We tried to modernize the gameplay and the interface in order to get rid of those weaknesses and come up with something more advanced and more appealing. We wanna open FOnline to new players, and for that its old gameplay had to evolve. That process is not yet over btw.

As for items, we started with restoring as much content as we could, Tactics included, making as many viable weapons as possible to give a use to this huge part of the arsenal that was always useless in FOnline (or Fallout if you only consider the end game). That's why we decided to develop our weapons system in a direction closer to Battlefield games for example. We could also have imagined to apply the usual MMO's generic equipment systems with prefixes and affixes, but we didn't feel comfortable to do such with both our available arsenal and our vision of Fallout in mind. Rest of the equipment was built around it, and we prepared armors based on the available models we gathered from the community.

Finally, concerning the faction system and that choice of the main city battleground, it's a personal choice. FOnline has always felt so much better for us as soon as we played in group. We know that nowadays, MMO's are often played solo (at least until end game content), but we don't believe in that. You could also say that post apocalyptic worlds are promoting solo gameplays in term of atmosphere, and you would not be necessarily wrong. We wanna give players the possibility to really feel alone and in permanent danger, and that's gonna come with future PvE features. Now, from realism perspective, and if you consider the PvP potential of FOnline, I think it makes much more sense that players gather in factions in order to survive and prevail in such a dangerous world.

I'm splitting this from 'BETA CLIENT''s thread, in case someone wants to react.

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip