Author Topic: Increasing PvE skills  (Read 6203 times)

gggrant

• Wanderer
    • View Profile
Increasing PvE skills
« on: October 30, 2014, 05:25:11 PM »

Ok, I know that PvE skills can only be increased by using them.

Engineering usually be crafting and repairing.

Science usually by reducing an item to component parts and in some cases crafting items.

Persuasion by doing various transactions with NPC vendors.

How does one "use" the Outdoorsman skill?

I have traveled just about everywhere. I have entered countless zones. I have met King Arthur and the Mysterious Stranger a number of times. Not a single increase in Outdoorsman. Am I missing something obvious or is this a PvE skill that currently cannot be increased?

cirn0

• No Name Yet Team
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
  • That's Terror
    • View Profile
Re: Increasing PvE skills
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2014, 05:46:37 PM »

Not implemented and is up for SUGGESTIONS!
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 05:52:30 PM by cirn0 »
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FEATURES! YOU'LL REGRET THIS!

Myakot

• Global Moderator
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Eng\Rus Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 10:45:51 PM »

Is it even needed before more content besides phoenix will be added? :)
I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and the stuff together...
Okay, 3, 2, 1, let's jam!

gggrant

• Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 01:13:54 PM »

Well right now, the description is, "Practical knowledge of the outdoors, and the ability to live off the land. The knowledge of plants and animals."

This indicates survival skills and the ability to harvest resources from nature. It could be construed that the higher your skill, the more likely that you could get a usable pelt and/or editable meat from an animal you killed. The higher your skill, the more usable wood you would get from chopping down a tree.  Things of that nature. Basically, if I kill a Silver Gecko the chance of getting a Silver Gecko pelt would be related to my Outdoorsman skill. That is to say a person with 70% in Outdoorsman would have about a third of a chance to get a pelt as someone with 200%.

There are also some plant resources that are ground spawn. The skill could be used to determine your chance to find these.

As for increasing the skill, I am not sure how the backend works in this game. It could be handled somewhat passively like Persuasion so that every time you chop down a tree or loot a pelt you have a chance to increase your skill. It could also be handled like crafting with certain recipes such as healing powders, maybe in a campfire instead in a crafting station at base.

paragon

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 12:36:59 PM »

Agreed, but better as resource multiplayer. <100 ODM 1 pelt, 125 - 2 pelts, 150 - 3 pelts, or something like that.

Myakot

• Global Moderator
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Eng\Rus Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 12:39:54 PM »

I don't think that by "gitting gud" at skinning, you will be able to skin 2 more pelts from a single gecko ;D.

A lil'l bit better would be a "chance" to get a pelt. (Besides, cirn0 really likes his RDM)
Something like: OTD max 100% and each % is a % to get a pelt?
I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and the stuff together...
Okay, 3, 2, 1, let's jam!

paragon

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 01:02:48 PM »

You can consider a pelt as a piece of the pelt. More exp gives you ability to gather more pieces, cuz you don't spoil it in process.
My suggestion based on players feedback and will solve need of farming ants for 1 hour to craft 1 armor.

lvhoang

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 06:58:14 AM »

So there is no alternative other than grinding Ants to get some chitin scrap?

paragon

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 07:17:46 AM »

Could be that I just don't know any.
The best way I know is the dungeons with scorpions.

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 04:18:52 AM »

I don't think that by "gitting gud" at skinning, you will be able to skin 2 more pelts from a single gecko ;D.

I didn't think geckos came in four foot tall form and I wasn't aware that radiation had the effect of making things giant ;)

Realism has taken a second seat to gameplay, and that is acceptable. (you could say that the player has learned how to utilise a single pelt multiple times, as paragon mentioned).

If keeping it a pve skill, I would like to see outdoorsman effect the healing rate of food (maxing at what it currently gives you) as one of its effects. Though this does have an effect on pvp as almost everybody takes advantage of the food buffs currently, and veteran players will have better buffs (being a pve skill that increases with usage) than noobies from food.

But as another idea you could just make it a PvP skill related to the detection of mines and sneakers, and remove the detection levels from those skills respectively (sneak would just be about sneaking better and traps would just be about the setting and disarming of traps, not their detection). Outdoorsman could also govern the usage of "detection" items like motion sensors, for detecting the location of both sneaking players and players moving outside of sight range.

This way you could make the effect of the sneak skill stronger with points in it, to make it less all or nothing, and also separate detectors from users quite distinctly.

It would be a big change, but it could work.

Though you would have to add some new traps to give reason to take that skill too ;)

paragon

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 05:02:19 AM »

I have no idea why people still think that HR is PvE stat. They probably just have no tank chars with 10 CH and PAs.
But e.g. scaling how long does food work - wouldn't be so harmful, as increasing HR.

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 06:11:45 AM »

I agree that healing from food is high enough, I did say to scale it so that the current effectiveness of food was its max, but longevity is good too.

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip