Author Topic: SMG?  (Read 5623 times)

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
SMG?
« on: September 23, 2014, 12:44:43 PM »

Is anybody using sub-machine-guns? Do they have some hidden value or do they really suck?

They have less or equal range as shotguns but do way less damage, some (all?) can put all bullets of a burst in one target, but the burst is just 3 bullets and the damage/bullet is low(~20). The ammunition isn't great either (9mm AP has -40% damage, 9mm JHP is next to useless against armor, .45 isn't universal enough).

I've only tested a MP5 (~30dmg/burst), and a Walther MPL (~50dmg/burst) but rest of the guns don't look much better in the wiki and it looks like smgs perform somewhat like unaimed pistol shots, but at 5x ammo cost.

I refuse to believe that the Devs made a whole category of useless guns, so what's the key to using SMGs effectively? 

The Brazilian Slaughter

• Wastelander
  • Family Original Gangster.
    • View Profile
Re: SMG?
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2014, 01:09:12 PM »

Yeah I did some testing with them and SMGs are trash, best used as a substitute pistol or as a gun for fending off low-level critters/bluesuit losers in a TL1 junk gear Core Run. Be sure to onehex, damage is incredibly lame otherwise.

If you need a real short-range quick-fire small gun, snag a decent shotty or a pistol instead.

I did hear the devs are planning to buff them, SMGs are currently the lamest Small Gun ever.

Butthead

• Wastelander
  • aop kicks ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2014, 03:17:27 PM »

burst weapons and energy suck

MARXMAN

• Wiki Editor
  • Experienced Survivor
  • Trickshotting Legendaries since before it was cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2014, 09:26:10 PM »

They're nice early game roaming around with others and providing light suppressive fire on groups of enemies.  I rather liked the greasegun early on.

TheTylerLee

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2014, 09:55:50 PM »

There is one SMG slightly decent, But i rather keep it a secret, Because i believe all SMGS are supposed to be 100% shitty, So i dont want this crappy gun to get crappier =]

Myakot

• Global Moderator
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Eng\Rus Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2014, 12:04:43 AM »

When I first got into the game I had a feeling that SMGs are supposed to be a second firearm for close-quarters battling. Sadly enough any rifle deals with this much better.
I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and the stuff together...
Okay, 3, 2, 1, let's jam!

Doobee

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2014, 02:25:37 AM »

There is one SMG slightly decent, But i rather keep it a secret, Because i believe all SMGS are supposed to be 100% shitty, So i dont want this crappy gun to get crappier =]
Thomson and Scorpio are decent )

faopcurious

• Outdoorsman Veteran
  • War.... War always changes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 03:24:28 AM »

What if they just had better, and more tactical perks?
or you can have some keep damage, give awesome perks, and buff damage on others.
Devs tried to, and did a decent job of making the weapons balanced, but kind of gave up when they got to SMG's, even the energy ones, although i guess AP drain on electric SMG is kind of nice.

Nunn

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 10:37:50 PM »

They can do alright if you are upclose and fire with burst or w/e, ive had an AI take me out while in CA with one, but in general they are worse off then other guns.

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip