Author Topic: Smaller scale ZCs  (Read 5324 times)

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
Smaller scale ZCs
« on: October 10, 2014, 04:35:05 AM »

Smaller areas (for example gates and sewers) that can be captured and held by a faction for a much smaller bonus (no patrolling guards etc), but the main point here is that;

Instead of a minimum number of players required, there is a maximum limit to how many can participate in these smaller battles.

Say the maximum is 6 players to "take control" of the south east sewer exit (not exactly a glamorous location to take, but useful in ways surely). If 7 or more players of a faction are in the area they cannot start the ZC until enough leave that only 6 remain, once started only 6 members of opposing factions could enter also, all others would not be able to enter the grid while the fight is on.

Now to combat larger teams just camping the exit with a dozen more fighters, these battles take place on world map exit grids, so the winning team can choose to leave immediately after the battle. To avoid grid shenanigans in battle anyone who leaves while the ZC is on, will not be allowed re-entry, but will still count as an entrant for that factions maximum. to combat waves of "reinforcements" waiting to enter when the battle ends, a 1-2 minute delay before the ZC actually ends could occur, so new players can't just come in and clean up the victors.

So it is however many teams, of somewhat controlled size, fighting to the death or until one party flees. Different areas could have different maximums to give some variation (and even variation in the odds, perhaps a party taking an opposing factions gate has a maximum of 8, while that grids faction can bring 10 etc). Smaller teams can use fights like these to hone their skills and tactics without fear of being completely swarmed, It will also give smaller groups something to do when the larger numbers are asleep.

TL/DR? Is it possible to add ZCs with a maximum number of entrants per faction, alongside the larger, minimum entrants ZCs.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2014, 07:28:33 PM by mAdman »

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

Re: Smaller scale ZCs
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 09:00:40 AM »

Your suggestions bad.

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2014, 11:18:17 AM »

Well your criticisms and grammar are bad. :P

What makes it bad? The controlled maximum combatants?
« Last Edit: October 10, 2014, 11:20:26 AM by mAdman »

MARXMAN

• Wiki Editor
  • Experienced Survivor
  • Trickshotting Legendaries since before it was cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 08:38:45 PM »

I don't know if you've thought this through completely.  My first thought was that the factions of fallout do not function like a normal military. Reinforcements waves make no sense really unless the entire faction has been rallied. Not only that, but could you imagine the chaos that would ensue if a few of these caps were going on at the same time as a major ZC? It just wouldn't end well. This would make larger factions even stronger by allowing them to basically function like a normal military and send waves of skirmishers to take parts of zones and distract/cut off the enemies reinforcements coming in from other sectors.  This would be the death of smaller factions, IMO.

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 09:45:20 PM »

There would be no reinforcement waves, I meant to stop larger groups overwhelming the victors of the smaller battles, by just waiting out the timer, with a delay, it gives time for the winning party to loot and choose their exits.

I may not have explained it clearly, and the locations were suggestions, hell the battlefields could be out in the wasteland for all I care.

The main point of the suggestion is for the option for somewhat organised smaller scale pvp battles amidst the crazy unknown and usually huge ones. Limiting a maximum number or entrants per faction per battle instead of just a bare minimum.

Deathproof

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 09:53:23 PM »

This could be doable by limiting attacking number of players to the defending ones. As in, if 6 people start zc only 6 people can attack. Doing something like this could also give us more zc at the same time, different teams on different zones. But....I don't know. I like the big fights, small ones are kind of more connected to core fights, when you run into someone.

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 11:28:15 PM »

Yeah, but it does give smaller teams attacking and/or defending jobs, and brings a level of organisation to these small pvp battles.

I had thought that some battles (in fact most) would either be even, or favor the attacker by 1 or 2 players.

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2014, 09:43:08 AM »

I also wouldn't want the current ZC system changed entirely, the random huge battles are awesome when they happen.

Just something for more controlled number battles too, got to think of good scenarios and areas where these smaller battles could occur and not detract from the larger fights in anyway.

I.E. something PvP related for smaller groups to do while the larger part of their faction is away etc. Like a dungeon, but for pvp.

Myakot

• Global Moderator
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Eng\Rus Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2014, 10:21:53 AM »

A simple admin-event would suffice. Re-watch the very first stream (an hour long I suppose) which came out days before the server launch. There were (almost) numbers on both sides and gear was given on the spot. (Of course the last thing is up to some discussion, but it'd still suffice IMO).
I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and the stuff together...
Okay, 3, 2, 1, let's jam!

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2014, 10:57:51 AM »

Yes that would be cool, admin moderated events, I think that would encourage more people to participate at the time too.

But that's another idea in itself, "events" (non moderated) that occur randomly around the core, for a certain amount of time, that groups (preferably at least some with controlled numbers) could participate in, could have different goals and settings, specific to the location, include NPCs, artifacts to recover, objects to destroy etc, all while allowing for all factions to participate.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 12:03:04 PM »

This could be doable by limiting attacking number of players to the defending ones. As in, if 6 people start zc only 6 people can attack. Doing something like this could also give us more zc at the same time, different teams on different zones. But....I don't know. I like the big fights, small ones are kind of more connected to core fights, when you run into someone.
you can't force players for only 6 to attack. The thing is if someone starts ZC we don't know their exact numbers so why do you think other factions gather as much as they can.l also I've noticed most family members support this suggestion. Instead of camping Vtec enterprises or gate late at night, go take a zone and players will come.

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 12:39:15 PM »

Well, not all of us flock to the biggest faction at the first sign of trouble, though maybe that is what you want?

Deathproof

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2014, 12:59:04 PM »

you can't force players for only 6 to attack. The thing is if someone starts ZC we don't know their exact numbers so why do you think other factions gather as much as they can.l also I've noticed most family members support this suggestion. Instead of camping Vtec enterprises or gate late at night, go take a zone and players will come.

Yeah I know its a problem by itself, thats why I said I like the current state, as in big fights.

Off topic : Honestly we go trough all the core, but since BB are almost completely inactive or lack people and lawyers aren't anywhere to be found except in zc, only vtech are viable option to find pvp in the core. While I would love to do ZC on daily basis, we can't get numbers, if you ever found us around vtech  you could notice that its a 4-8 ppl team, which is hardly enough to defeat law or vtech ZC force. All those people who came to family obviously switched just to do PvE all the time, as most excuses I hear are : We're gonna lose and oh no muh equipment , without anyone trying. In the end, even losing ZC with 6 ppl makes me feel like I accomplished something since I/we managed to gather people willing to try.

naossano

• Alpha Explorer
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Fallout Génération
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2014, 11:42:51 AM »

I am more in favor in giving bigger reward to the players that have the lower number.

Let's say it is 6 family agains't 30 V-TEC.
We have 1:5 family/V-Tec ratio.
The family players would have their individual score multiplied by 5 at the end of the timer, while the V-TEC players would have their individual score divided by 5.

Wouldn't prevent swarm but would make huge reward when fighting agains't them.

As much as i hate unbalanced number, i can't imagine having to prevent people in a faction, from joining their buddies in the battle. It not only sucks it the factions were group of friends. But this is not even the case. Each factions have multiple platoons with different gamestyles plus a significant number of loners. Who gonna choose which one can join or not ? This might promote team killing to ensure access to the faction war, which would be non sense. We already have troubles to prevent occasionnal team-killing. Faction-wide, it would be impossible.
You speak french and love Fallout, Wasteland and post-apocalyptic culture ? Join us now.
http://fallout-generation.com

paragon

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2014, 11:49:59 AM »

Yay, as you said in your message, let's civil war in faction begin!

MARXMAN

• Wiki Editor
  • Experienced Survivor
  • Trickshotting Legendaries since before it was cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2014, 05:43:36 PM »

I am more in favor in giving bigger reward to the players that have the lower number.

Let's say it is 6 family agains't 30 V-TEC.
We have 1:5 family/V-Tec ratio.
The family players would have their individual score multiplied by 5 at the end of the timer, while the V-TEC players would have their individual score divided by 5.

Wouldn't prevent swarm but would make huge reward when fighting agains't them.

+1

A system like this would encourage players to go out and try, at least.

cirn0

• No Name Yet Team
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
  • That's Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 05:50:06 PM »

Ye
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FEATURES! YOU'LL REGRET THIS!

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip