Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: About the leveling and such  (Read 13295 times)

Deathproof

About the leveling and such
« on: September 11, 2014, 03:39:43 PM »

First of all, I love the server. The setup, the scavenging, the zone control, crafting etc etc.
I love the way its not (at least for me now in the start) easy to get to nice amount of caps to buy decent equipment. I love how many players I meet, either friend or foes making it feel like a true mmorpg.
My wasteland experience is great, but...

What I consider downside is that leveling is really slow. Since its more pvp then pve oriented server (I heard it being described as that) why do I feel I need to grind,grind,grind then grind some more to advance like I'm playing grind-ier version of any other fonline server. Basically I came here to have some fun, but unless I'm free most part of the day to play, I will have to grind and grind and grind and grind for like a month or two to actually have fun and compete with rest of the server.(No I can't play 12 hours a day, wish I had that much free time)
Also, 5 mantis owning new characters ? Need to make tactics to beat couple of rad scorpions ???
Come on, either make them give more experience or make critters in game easier to kill. Its one big town, you'll die sooner and later, at least let it be in pvp.

I wonder do other folks feel same as I do.....
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 03:47:37 PM by Deathproof »

TheTylerLee

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
Re: About the leveling and such
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 03:51:41 PM »

+3

Hans Landa

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 04:11:37 PM »

This is the first time when I don't feel the urge to max lvl my character in FOnline as soon as I can. You can start killing things in pvp starting from lvl 3-5, when you raise your weapon skill to 150, you have all the HP you need for PVP from start. You can craft almost anything with no need to level crafting alts. You can farm resources, as effective as any other player, independent on their level. The devs did a really good job. Just relax and play the game. You don't need max level to enjoy 95% of the game content.

faopcurious

• Outdoorsman Veteran
  • War.... War always changes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 04:19:53 PM »

yes but considering you can keep leveling past 24? to level 99+  I don't see very many people getting past level 60...

vaultboy

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 04:25:04 PM »

Yes the server is great but leveling is time consuming as hell. I can compare it to old 2238 crafting... I play saturday and I got only 10 lvl, poor stuff and 2k caps in my container. Compare to other servers I don't have problems with experience. Well I can say exping in AoP is boring, time consuming. Random assigments rewards are funny too. I think lvling should be much easier even for solo, small group of players if server is pvp oriented.

faopcurious

• Outdoorsman Veteran
  • War.... War always changes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 04:29:29 PM »

i honestly can't really say WHY its slow though, you hit something, get 200 xp, hit him again get 80 xp, hit something else get 100 xp, kill an ant get 50 xp, dadadadaa.
How can this be slow leveling?  but in retrospect, it really is.

Deathproof

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 04:32:30 PM »

This is the first time when I don't feel the urge to max lvl my character in FOnline as soon as I can. You can start killing things in pvp starting from lvl 3-5, when you raise your weapon skill to 150, you have all the HP you need for PVP from start. You can craft almost anything with no need to level crafting alts. You can farm resources, as effective as any other player, independent on their level. The devs did a really good job. Just relax and play the game. You don't need max level to enjoy 95% of the game content.

I know man, I get your point and I really do enjoy 95% of the game. But once I devote to leveling (which happens when I gear up, and I enjoy go scavenge then craft (or find relic first) it just becomes this boring long task. It took me ages to get to lvl 4, ages ! (ok hours...but I think you get my point). Don't want to spend ingame time on mindless grinding. Eventually we will all grind up to higher levels, but why make it slow and boring if pvp is ultimate goal on server. Also its easier to kill a player than group of mantis...go figure.

P.S. Yes I can start killing at lvl3-5 but I can kill weaklings like me, its tier1 pvp and until I lose weeks to grind I'll have to stick to poking holes in blue-suits ? Didn't come to play for that man...
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 04:41:58 PM by Deathproof »

Hans Landa

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 04:43:15 PM »

Looks like you play alone. This server is not loner friendly. Enroll in a squad, call your buddies to play the game with, cooperate with you faction. You can do assignments every 10 minutes and scavenge/pvp in between. Also the 30k rep assignments boost your xp quicker.

Deathproof

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2014, 04:57:35 PM »

Looks like you play alone. This server is not loner friendly. Enroll in a squad, call your buddies to play the game with, cooperate with you faction. You can do assignments every 10 minutes and scavenge/pvp in between. Also the 30k rep assignments boost your xp quicker.
Yeah I mostly do. I guess I'll try it with group assignments. But it still sounds like group version of grinding to me.

MARXMAN

• Wiki Editor
  • Experienced Survivor
  • Trickshotting Legendaries since before it was cool
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2014, 06:29:49 PM »

Yeah I mostly do. I guess I'll try it with group assignments. But it still sounds like group version of grinding to me.

It is just group grinding.  I see assignment hobos doing that alllllllll day long with groups of people.  Its kinda fun, but I would rather scav alone.

TheTylerLee

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2014, 07:17:55 PM »

i honestly can't really say WHY its slow though, you hit something, get 200 xp, hit him again get 80 xp, hit something else get 100 xp, kill an ant get 50 xp, dadadadaa.
How can this be slow leveling?  but in retrospect, it really is.

There is diminishing returns for killing things, For example, at level 1 a rat gives 25exp total

At level 3 it gives 8 exp total.

Deathproof

« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 09:43:44 PM »

Ok, so I did some assignment grinding tonight and its better then trying to do stuff alone around (not that you can't do them alone, most are really easy and quick), but still loosing ton of time for cool-downs. Why is there a cd on assignment .... can't see a downside of removing it.

Myakot

• Global Moderator
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Eng\Rus Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 11:06:01 PM »

Ok, so I did some assignment grinding tonight and its better then trying to do stuff alone around (not that you can't do them alone, most are really easy and quick), but still loosing ton of time for cool-downs. Why is there a cd on assignment .... can't see a downside of removing it.
Read the forum... Cooldowns are for removing massive server lags
I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and the stuff together...
Okay, 3, 2, 1, let's jam!

Seki

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2014, 11:43:32 PM »

Leveling isnt really that slow. You are ofc leveling faster on fo2/reloaded but try to go back to start of 2238 or just show me some other MMORPG game where you can level up that quickly. Its not even week since release and many players already got level 24+. Also there isnt that big difference in levels anymore and exp gain was boosted in last patch.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 01:40:36 AM by Seki »

Nunn

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 01:35:10 AM »

Since you can pretty much do most things straight away from level one with a little thought, leveling isn't as bad as other games.
Once you figure out how to game the system then any mob that doesn't have a range attack is fairly easy to kill and gain experience off, and ammo is somewhat too abundant to worry about cash.

vaultboy

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2014, 06:36:40 AM »

Leveling isnt really that slow. You are ofc leveling faster on fo2/reloaded but try to go back to start of 2238 or just show me some other MMORPG game where you can level up that quickly. Its not even week since release and many players already got level 24+. Also there isnt that big difference in levels anymore and exp gain was boosted in last patch.

Tell me how someone gets +24 lvl. What the hell is he doing? To craft bg weapon you need a shit called "heavy pipe" (find it on core where all cars, cotainers are being checked by others), buy tons of ammo for only caps, do assigments. Even with 100% leather armor, toughness, adrealine rush, 8EN group of dogs can kill my big gun character. I hate that because for a flamer I need a fucking "item" from core, which I can't find, so I am forced to use ak47 all time.

Captain Chilly

• Experienced Survivor
  • Professional memelord i nthe making
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2014, 06:48:29 AM »

that's the problem with you guys, the other FOnline games have a really fast leveling, this one is trying to be diffirent, give them a  slack, leveling is pretty easy and this isn't a PvP oriented server, it's a balanced one, when people aren't doing assignments they'll be trying to take over some points in the core

BG Sexpert

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 10:04:40 AM »

While its true that this is a PvP oriented server, it doesn't mean that you can't safely (without risk of PvP) grind experience. The biggest mistake new players (myself included) make is that they run straight to the core. The core is high risk - high reward. Everything you find can instantly be taken away from you by enemy NPCs or other players. You shouldn't go into the core until you have gotten yourself a few levels (enough to use weapon efficiently).

So where are these low level areas to grind? Every faction has a low level mission giving NPC (F<E<D<C ranked missions). These missions give XP based on the difficulty and the number of players you have with you. The low level ones are usually vs unarmed enemies, unless otherwise specified. You can get 1k+ xp a mission (can do a mission every 10 minutes) if you solo it. This also gives a good number of caps.

You can also help defend miners from rats. This is a quest in the mines. While it doesn't give a direct XP reward, the rat flow is frequent and easy to deal with. You can use your reward to buy ammo, weapons, and armor.

Again all this is completely safe from PvP. Once you have made yourself a little cushion, and have put some points into your weapon ability, you can start doing some PvP, and core loot runs. As always, the balance of the core is centered around GROUPS. So talk to other faction members, make friends, and go on some group runs. There is always more safety in numbers!

Then once you are ready for PvP, you can participate in ZC fun. For every point you get in ZC, you get 10 xp. You get points simply by shooting enemy players. Its not uncommon to earn 5k+ xp for a single ZC event. This makes the latter leveling go by much faster.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 10:08:16 AM by BG Sexpert »

wojciech

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2014, 10:09:35 AM »

The fastest way to exp is find exploit :D.

vaultboy

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2014, 10:18:06 AM »

You can get 1k+ xp a mission (can do a mission every 10 minutes) if you solo it.

Which one give 1k+ exp? I usually get ~200-700 exp per mission. How about mission ranged D, is it hard for 10 lvl?
Pages: [1] 2

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip