Author Topic: Combat Timer on misses  (Read 4999 times)

BG Sexpert

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
Combat Timer on misses
« on: March 04, 2014, 12:39:57 PM »

I want to start out by saying that I agree with combat timers existing in this game. Due to the nature of different zones, a player running from combat could far too easily escape simply by moving to the next zone before his pursuers.

I really enjoy the effective range and sight range mechanic. It allows for players to gamble at a lucky shot to potentially kill an enemy that would normally be out of range. A player can shoot as far as he sees and often at the end of his sight range the chance to hit is 0%. The issue with this, is that shooting at an enemy with 0% chance to hit starts their combat timer.

This means that a player is locked into the zone by a player with 0% chance to hit, making it impossible to leave. This probably hasn't happened much (I have killed a few players exploiting it, I admit) due to the small scale of players. However, with more players and heavier PvP I could see this being a very big deal, and a very problematic exploit.

Smalltime

• Global Moderator
  • Experienced Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Combat Timer on misses
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 01:24:07 PM »

I wouldn't call it an exploit, so much as something really dick-ass that makes a little bit of sense because yeah, you are being shot at, so you're in combat.
At the same time, it shouldn't stop you from hitting that grid, if you don't get hit.
I think that may not be as easy a thing to change though, in my very limited coding experience.

BG Sexpert

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 02:13:49 PM »

I wouldn't call it an exploit, so much as something really dick-ass that makes a little bit of sense because yeah, you are being shot at, so you're in combat.
At the same time, it shouldn't stop you from hitting that grid, if you don't get hit.
I think that may not be as easy a thing to change though, in my very limited coding experience.

I've done it with the explicit purpose of preventing them from leaving the zone, knowing that I have 0% chance to hit. I'm not even a sniper, imagine someone with 70+ view range doing this.

I could see it being a real problem to fix howerve.

Lidae

• No Name Yet Team
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
  • Wasteland scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 08:09:01 PM »

Good observation, I agree completely that if somebody shoots at you and miss, that shouldn't start your combat timer. Or desneak you. And for once, this is actually really easy to fix. In fact I just did.

BG Sexpert

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 02:51:40 AM »

Good observation, I agree completely that if somebody shoots at you and miss, that shouldn't start your combat timer. Or desneak you. And for once, this is actually really easy to fix. In fact I just did.

Will the fix be in next patch?

Lidae

• No Name Yet Team
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
  • Wasteland scientist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 11:48:08 AM »

Yes.

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip