Author Topic: Opinions of Shotguns/SMGs/Assault Rifles  (Read 10958 times)

BG Sexpert

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
Opinions of Shotguns/SMGs/Assault Rifles
« on: February 20, 2014, 03:01:24 PM »

First and foremost, I want to again state that these are opinions, albeit opinions formulated from extensive use.

I will first begin with Assault Rifles:
Assault Rifles seem to be a good reliable weapon for long range fighting. The damage output and relatively low AP cost make them a must-use item for fast shot builds.
Full Auto for Assault Rifles however is a pretty useless feature, and let me explain why. What sets an Assault Rifle off from the rest of the SG's is its range (snipers obviously far better at farther range, but lets not get into aimed shots). When you switch to Full Auto, your range is dramatically reduced. When bursting you are within range of SMG's and Shotguns (+/- a few hex), which outperform the Assault Rifle at this level.
Best Assault Rifle (That I have found thus far)
-M14
What is fantastic about AoP, is the value of range. The fact that weapons have an effective range coupled with AP regeneration while running has given range all new value. YOU CAN KITE NOW. This is huge in EVERY scenario. I have on several occasions, beaten a player that was AP/Damage more efficient than I, but my ability to KITE won.

Suggestion:
At 200+ (open for suggestion) SG skill, you replace the Full Auto Firing method with Controlled Pairs.
    - For a 33% AP cost increase you fire two rounds, the second of which has a 5% accuracy reduction.
    - The effective range remains the same

Only untrained terrorists fire an Assault Rifle on full auto (if that is even a function of the weapon). I feel that controlled pairs more accurately represents how a skilled marksman will fire under contact. A fantastic example of this is:

Shotguns:
The heavy urban settings of The Core, make the shotgun an incredibly useful weapon. Each tileset is riddled with indoor locations, blind corners, and sewers; ALL of which give the shotgun incredible value. I really can't think of any issues with the current implementation of the weapon. I think you guys have done a fantastic job and I am loving this weapon. Some minor issues with balance per Shotgun may be needed.
Best Shotgun (before patch)
-Combat Shotgun

SMGs:
It feels as if there is a role of the SMG and stealth that I haven't gotten to engage. I have seen silenced SMG's but cannot craft them. I imagine that later patches will include some more of the stealth functionality of this weapon.
As far as raw, blunt data, when compared to the shotgun in damage output / range the SMG is outperformed across the board. As a non-stealth character, I can't think of one situation where I would choose an SMG over a shotgun.

Suggestions
The range on the SMG is quite short which is logical. When I do use the weapon, my goal is to spend my AP as fast as possible and empty my magazine into the enemy. So why not give the player this function?
     - at 200+ SG skill, you unlock the ability to use your entire AP bar to unload your entire magazine into your enemy.
      The lower base damage, and medium magazine size makes this the only weapon that would really be viable for this attack type. The SMG should be absolutely devastating at 1 hex.

Notes
Pistols seem absolutely useless, at a shorter range than Assault Rifles, and lower damage output than SMGs and Shotguns I find literally no reason to use a pistol EVER. I understand that the AP cost is low, and you can single fire incredibly fast but the small magazine size makes this next to pointless.

The damage reduction for bursting/full auto should be removed. It makes absolutely no sense that the same unaimed round being fired from the same weapon suddenly does less damage because it is being done fast. I understand that firing rapidly reduces accuracy, but that is reflected by the range reduction.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 03:03:06 PM by BG Sexpert »

Smalltime

• Global Moderator
  • Experienced Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions of Shotguns/SMGs/Assault Rifles
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 05:01:12 PM »

I agree with pretty much everything except for the bit about pistols. I'm currently building a fast shot character based around pistols, and so far, the 14mm and desert eagle AE look deadly (Even with their AP cost and low mag capacity.)
Have yet to use it in any meaningful pvp encounter, as those are very, very rare.
Also, should have posted this in General Discussions.

BG Sexpert

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
Re: Opinions of Shotguns/SMGs/Assault Rifles
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 09:35:52 PM »

I agree with pretty much everything except for the bit about pistols. I'm currently building a fast shot character based around pistols, and so far, the 14mm and desert eagle AE look deadly (Even with their AP cost and low mag capacity.)
Have yet to use it in any meaningful pvp encounter, as those are very, very rare.
Also, should have posted this in General Discussions.

I stand corrected, the 14mm is pretty damn good!

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip