Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Traits Suggestions  (Read 38440 times)

Stribe

• Phoenix Contributor
  • Wanderer
    • View Profile
Re: Traits Suggestions
« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2014, 06:20:17 AM »

Poison hands  - You deal poison damage with unarmed attacks and can poison enemy but everytime you are in combat you will take poison damage too.

Plaguebearer - You have a horrible plague, this trait will increases your poison damage over time, but you are more vulnerable for poison too.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 06:22:54 AM by Stribe »

SnowCrash

• Wastelander
  • Ninja Lawyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2014, 10:19:17 PM »

Not sure about those traits, but i'll definitely like to see poison having an impact in combat

faopcurious

• Outdoorsman Veteran
  • War.... War always changes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2014, 10:46:12 PM »

It seems getting poisoned in game does suck a lot, take like 9 points of damage every 5 seconds or something?  I can barely keep up with FA ing it.

Admiral Zombie

• Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2014, 09:00:39 PM »

My favorite part in every fonline i've played has been the buildcraft. Coming up with unique builds and such. Hell, I have as much fun coming up with trait/perk ideas in past fonline games as I did making the builds. I just hope I'm not too late to suggest some ideas.

So quick explanation of how I view traits. I think the penalty is something you should always have to deal with. If you can build your character in a way that the penalty is never relevant, then it is probably a bad trait. Additionally traits should allow or encourage significant change in the way you build your character to play the game. A generic +10% DR doesn't really change the way someone would build their character or play the game and isn't very interesting to me.

Jinxed
-The max chance to hit you receives -10%
-The max chance you have to hit receives -10%
This is a bit of an inspiration from the fast shot trait, but to be honest I'm not too particularly keen on it myself. I read the dev post that said the current jinxed would probably go, and this was an alternative that came to mind. The problem I have with it is how it doesn't really change much in gameplay for you. It might be a popular trait for looters who just want to run in and try to steal something perhaps? More opportunities for your opponent to miss as you charge and get closer? Not sure. But I figured I would post it to see if it inspires anyone else perhaps

Gifted
-Gain 7(5?) Special points to distribute as you please
-Gain a perk only once every 4 levels rather than 3 (2 perks less)
The two most influential things in the game are SPECIAL and Perks. It makes sense to have a trait I think that subtracts one in favor of the other. It would probably require careful balancing. It is basically +1 to each SPECIAL, although that may be a little strong, I'm not sure really

Skilled
-Gain a Perk every 2 levels rather than 3 (4 perks extra)
-All special points start at 4 rather than 5
This would be even more potentially powerful, because going from perk every 3 levels to perk every 2 levels is a difference of 8 perks and 12 perks. That is a rather large bump. I just learned after writing this up that most perks don't have requirements, so it is a little too strong I think if it were just -7, although it is rather hard to say since SPECIAL has a much stronger role here than most other fonlines.

Raised by Wolves
-Starting at level 1 you have a dog companion. From level 12 you have 2 dog companions. At level 24 they both become wolves (slightly stronger)
-You cannot receive nor give leadership bonuses to humans.
Personal fantasy, I've always wanted to have a character with a bunch of dog companions. I doubt this would go through since there is yet to be any kind of system mentioned of NPC companions, but it could be interesting in the future I think.

Coward
-Less likely to be suppressed when fleeing
-More likely to be suppressed when advancing
It would promote hit and run strategies, and any trait which allows for or promotes certain play styles is typically a good trait in my opinion. Not sure how easy it would be to code it, or how much of a load it would put on the server to constantly check to see if a suppression hit was "advancing" or "retreating"

Multi-Tasker
-You can reload, change held items, and perform various other simple tasks, all without having to stop moving
-All simple actions, whether you're moving or not, require a little more AP to perform
Again, not sure if the code would allow this, or even how it would work out in the current game. This fonline server is so significantly different from others it can be harder to predict for balance things. This is mostly just a copy of an idea I suggested for reloaded though which I still like. Like a couple of my other ideas, it is meant to promote more mobile run and gun gameplay.

Situational Awareness
-Receive +2 PE for purposes of vision range
-Receive -3 PE for detecting sneaked foes
The cliche of the sniper who is so focused on what is far away he fails to notice those sneaking up really close to him would make for a good trait I thought. There is so much in your field of view it can be hard to focus on any one thing was the general idea

Advancing Wall of Doom
-Receive DR/DT when you are suppressed
-Your suppression lasts 2 seconds longer
This one I'm really unsure of balance wise, which is why I didn't even attempt to include numbers for the DR/DT. Its mainly the idea that matters, and can hopefully inspire more. I had in mind the cliche horrormovie scene of the monster or killer slowly advancing towards the target, never running, but completely immune to any bullets. We don't have to go that far. The negative actually helps even more with the bonus, but can get frustrating if the person is clever enough to run away properly. It should be interesting I think, as people desire to be suppressed, when there are many ways people would pick up to avoid it

Pyromaniac
-All attacks that would deal fire damage require less AP
-All attacks that don't deal fire damage require more AP

-(Alternative) Gain AP regeneration boost if you've dealt fire damage recently (enough to exceed the penalty)
-(Alternative) Reduced AP regeneration in general

Simple and obvious. Some people just want to watch the world burn. I wasn't sure which of the two options would be better so I just put down both for now

Perkus Maximus
-All perk level requirements are -3
-All perk SPECIAL requirements are +1
The idea was to allow players to start grabbing the stronger/higher level perks, but they would have to be far more careful with their SPECIAL planning. I've just learned however that most perks actually don't have much requirement...so I'm not sure. I'll leave it as it is to see if it inspires anyone else with a similar or better idea though
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 09:02:25 PM by Admiral Zombie »

SnowCrash

• Wastelander
  • Ninja Lawyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2014, 11:36:51 PM »

I agree on your point of view about traits, i think that they really should change the way you play, afecting your character in both the bonus and the drawback.

About Advancing wall of doom, there is already a perk that works similar, http://fonline-aop.net/wiki/index.php?title=Nerves_of_Steel, the drawback of the trait may turn into a big advantage combined with that perk, especially if you are using a minigun or a weapon that prevent you from running.

Both pyromaniac options seems like the drawback can be avoided, of course you are forced to use only fire base weapons to avoid it, so that it is a kind of drawback. I personally like more the second one,  but i think the AP rege bonus should be small but stackable (to a max amount) So the max bonus its obtained if you are dealing continuous damage. And you can continue the spree as your AP regenerate faster.

Gifted probably should give 4 or even 3 SPECIAL, 2 perks less is not a big drawback concidering that some perk only provide a bonus as if you have 2 more points in a certain stat, and with 4 SPECIAL you can replace 2 of those perks with the full bonus of having 2 more specials in that stat

Pyromaniac,  raised by wolves and Multi-Tasker are the ones that i like the most
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 11:42:07 PM by SnowCrash »

Admiral Zombie

• Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2014, 09:49:00 AM »

Gifted probably should give 4 or even 3 SPECIAL, 2 perks less is not a big drawback concidering that some perk only provide a bonus as if you have 2 more points in a certain stat, and with 4 SPECIAL you can replace 2 of those perks with the full bonus of having 2 more specials in that stat

I'm inclined to agree, mainly because the perks here seem a whole lot weaker and more defensive focused. Originally I suggested that exact trait idea for reloaded, where there are a lot more perks which are often seen as necessary for builds, whereas many of the offensive perks have been moved over to weapon perks in aop it looks like.

Just read it as "less perks, more SPECIAL" or vice versa. Numbers are always free to change for balance, its the idea that counts.

A point on multi-tasker, I'm not sure how easy it would be to code, but I figured just disabling or removing the animation you have to go through would be a possible way?

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2014, 11:29:32 AM »

New guy here, first post and all :) so hello everybody.

AoP looks fantastic from what I have seen and I will definitely be playing once released.

It is awesome to see that the makers are happy to customize and rework the "canon" feats and traits, they certainly would need somewhat of an overhaul with the rest of the system overhaul.

I wanted to add in my 2 cents, knowing that I am a noob to the area, and my opinion will likely be taken very lightly but;

The fact that it was mentioned they can implement up to 17 traits sounds like they can really go to town making some new and interesting traits to add personal flare to builds in game, I really hope they utilise all of these 17 spots.

That being said 17 is quite a huge list, perhaps allowing the player to choose between 0 and 4 traits (if possible) and lessening the positive and negative effects a bit?

I remember that a lot of the original traits were positioned as direct opposites (finesse and ham fisted or gifted and skilled come to mind), but I always thought that the idea of trait opposites (or binaries) weren't really necessary, and really limited the actual selection of customisation provided by traits.

Also when it came to increasing (or decreasing) the rate of perks I always found that way too much of a draw to ever really consider anything else (the same goes for gifted really) and I personally think with a pool of 17 potential traits really powerful stuff like that should be avoided to give good reason for selection of other traits,

For example, instead of gifted, you could create a trait for each special point (strength and agility already have theirs, with bruiser and small frame respectively) that has it's own individual malus that isn't related directly to other stat points. And if the player were able to select up to 4 traits he could essentially boost the stats he needs while still taking other flare based traits.

I'll stop typing now because i could literally go on forever, and no one likes a text wall.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 11:33:15 AM by mAdman »

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2014, 08:02:51 PM »

How about a "Loner" trait?

One that gives bonuses for not being in a squad/platoon (or possibly even a faction, but that might be going to far), say to crit chance or carry weight or dr or skill buff, or possibly a little of all, at the sacrifice of leadership abilities (which may be too much of a negative) or charisma, or starting reputation.

For example;

Loner; You don't work well with others, but you work exceedingly well all by your lonesome, as a result you gain 10 carry weight 5 dr and 2cc when you are not in a squad, but you lose the ability to be granted leadership bonuses by others and you can never lead a squad.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 08:16:30 PM by mAdman »

faopcurious

• Outdoorsman Veteran
  • War.... War always changes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2014, 08:28:45 PM »

oh i like that, or what if you got certain bonus, and you can use your own modules?
but not as good of bonuses when following or leading.

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2014, 08:54:40 PM »

Yeah, I am not 100% on all the functions of the reworked and new systems, so I don't know what would be good balance wise (removing the leadership buffs entirely is probably going too far, maybe just halving them), but I figured people who (intend to) play outside of squads more than in squads should be able to select a trait to suit that play style. You can still be a team player and help your faction, but you don't necessarily do better with others and being by yourself doesn't always come at a disadvantage.

Anyway that's just one trait :)

I really like some of suggestions made too, especially the raised by wolves one, that is very classy, but could be hard to implement properly, but I kind of want to be a loner who was raised by wolves now >.<

A couple of others too;

Fire eater; Your body is calloused over from your obsession with fire, granting you +15% resistance to fire, but leaving your body 15% more vulnerable to radiation and poison.
(this could be good for tanks who intend to get close enough to be flamed and extra protection from say molotovs, for the cost having to deal with radiation and poison faster and more often)

Good nature; You are a kind sort, perhaps too kind for the wasteland, but nonetheless people treat you differently, you receive better prices at shops and start with a small amount of reputation with all groups, but you find it hard to pull the trigger in battle and as such deal less damage (5%?) and have a slightly reduced critical chance (1%?)
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 10:54:41 PM by mAdman »

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2014, 11:02:43 PM »

If there is a functioning day night cycle then you could have;

Night Owl; You mostly come out at night, mostly, during the night you have +2 to perception and +1 agility, but during the day you suffer -1 perception and -1 luck.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2014, 12:05:42 AM »

Kamikaze should increase running speed by 30% and +3 AP Regen +

but -20% DR

so you're fast and quick but paper..unless you take drugs but still paper :P

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2014, 03:12:39 AM »

So, I actually didn't select any of the traits on my first character, I couldn't find one that suited me without having terrible detrimental aspect to other parts of my build (four eyes was tempting, but its like losing vision to gain vision in circumstance, which is a positive and negative to the same derived stat).

So for the moment I will go without.

Gifted is also so heavily weighted its really hard to take it, no tag skills at all leaves you really far behind in terms of combat.

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2014, 05:16:39 PM »

So while the server goes down for a bit, I thought i'd suggest some more perks, as I mentioned before, with such a large pool of traits I think gifted can be tossed out for 7 special based perks;

Strength; already has Bruiser
Perception; Cautious- +1 perception +10% chance to be suppressed
Endurance; Bulky- +2 endurance -15% movement speed (or a reasonable movement speed debuff)
Charisma; Drop dead gorgeous; +2 charisma +15% damage from members of the same sex
Intelligence; Idiot Savant; +2 intelligence -25% rewards from quests and harder dialogue choices
Agility; already has small frame
Luck; Luck of the Fried-ish; +1 luck -5% to radiation poison and fire resistance

The numbers obviously aren't set in stone, but these are just special focused traits instead of an overall one like gifted.

As I also said before being able to select more than two and lessening the effects might work better too, but who knows.

SnowCrash

• Wastelander
  • Ninja Lawyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 06, 2014, 06:25:47 PM »

Again i want to state against those kind of traits, A specific bonus/malus in a SPECIAL dont fit well in a game where you can rearrange the point as you want. In your proposition, most players that lets say want to have high LK wont be picking the trait that increase LK, but the trait with the lighter drawback (for example idiot savant), and put those extra point in LK.

So having a trait for each attribute will probably make 1 or 2 traits be picked as a generic bonus in SPECIAL points, and the rest become ignored for its drawback.

Now, if instead of the LK bonus, the trait provides a bonus in critical chance, or critical power, a player with high luck will be more tempted to pick that trait, to be better in that area.

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2014, 06:46:24 PM »

Fair enough, I did note that you were against them, but now that you have explained the reasoning clearly I can see why you feel that way and can agree to an extent, but;

As it stands I cannot put the stats I want at the levels I want (i.e no stat gets to 10, ever, its too much of a sacrifice with the trade offs for dropping stats too much), so I think it would be helpful just to push your favorite special or two to higher levels without having to completely cut off other special stats.

I think we can both agree, that at least this approach would be better than gifted? And there are still 10 more trait slots for everything in between.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2014, 06:49:21 PM by mAdman »

deadhand

• Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2014, 08:00:55 AM »

what about a trait called going commando you character forgets his pants but it becomes harder for people/npcs to target your legs. negative effect would be a -2 to charisma
Time is an unforgiving master
Everyone will be dust no matter what creed you hail from

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2014, 08:36:54 AM »

Tribal Heritage; You are a tribal warrior at heart, the spirit of your ancestors guides you in battle, you gain +5 melee and throwing damage, extra throwing range and +15 to outdoorsman, unfortunately the spirit of your ancestors is a technophobe and as such you lose -20% to science and -10% to engineering and can never wield energy weapons.

SnowCrash

• Wastelander
  • Ninja Lawyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2014, 01:52:36 PM »

-Cold Blooded: you get +2PE, +2LK and +2CH when hp are over 80% / You get -2PE, -2LK,  -2CH when hp are under 60%

The CH bonus makes this trait good for team leaders (can probably replace altruist) as they will boost his team as long as they maintain high their health. It can be also appealing to sneakers and snipers as both try to avoid direct confrontation and the LK and PE bonus can boost their offensive power, but if they are caught out of guard their offensive will be reduced.

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2014, 11:30:18 PM »

I thought fast metabolism was a bit much too, I almost took it just to test out a theory but decided against it.

+10 healing rate is huge, but obviously a lot of the time when you are healing you are also bleeding so it does make it redundant (except for poison, which it almost completely negates, so its almost an immunity to poison trait essentially).

How about instead of +10 HR -10 bleed resist, it is reduced to +5 or +6 HR, but halves the healing given from stimpacks and non first aid based healing.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip