Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Enemy faction player nicknames  (Read 13899 times)

paragon

Enemy faction player nicknames
« on: November 18, 2014, 06:38:22 AM »

Last battles became very personal. I know who is high value target to kill, weak sides of the characters contesting me, importance of each my kill just but nickname. Same about enemy knowing about me (especially because people who were playing with me play for enemy). It's stupid to not use such information if you can, but in the same time it affects gameplay by e.g. ability to concentrate fire at character just because you know him.

I'm not sure if it's good or bad. I'm trying to imagine what will happen if enemy characters won't have nicknames real until you e.g. point mouse over it.

I expect same effect as not having 50 green numbers of players HP on the screen (other servers). It's lame.

Immersion for komrade, problems for concentration of the fire for organized teams, less personal pvp.

How to replace nicknames:

2 approaches:
a) Nothing until mouse over player
b) [Faction identifier] [rank in the faction (fame)]. E.g. V-tec noob, family warlord.

Ideas?
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 06:42:39 AM by paragon »

Stem Sunders

Re: Enemy faction player nicknames
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 06:42:33 AM »

I honestly have no idea what I just read :s
Can you explain a little more please?
What do you mean by nicknames and stuff?
I agree that certain players should be higher priority targets.

(Edit) You saying we shouldn't be able to see nicknames during battles?

I get it now!
That would be cool, if there was some sort of rank symbols above our heads instead of a nickname.
But at the same time I like knowing who I got, and I Like knowing who got me. So I know who and how to deal with them in future.

Sometimes you can spot an enemys nickname and know what that player is about to do, just out of past experiences with that player.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 06:50:02 AM by Stem Sunders »

paragon

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2014, 06:48:05 AM »

Situation 1:

You family, I'm v-tec. We meet in the core. I see your nickname.
I think: it's well-known machine gunner, and tell my team: kill him first. You die just because of your nickname and not because I look at your char / identify weapon / fame / etc.

Situation 2:

You family, I'm v-tec. We meet in the core. I don't see your nickname.
I think: oh, who do I shoot? I need to point mouse over you to see your nickname. If you are in team, point mouse over everyone (please, don't go to cover)
Now I think it's well-known machine gunner, and tell my team: kill him first.
My team: kill who? They need to point mouse over you to see your nickname. If you are in team, point mouse over everyone (please, don't go to cover)

You don't die if you're not shooting with MG creating threat and pointing attention at you.

P.S. Information in log will be unchanged -- all nicknames. But it won't help you to concentrate the fire easily.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 06:51:18 AM by paragon »

Anza

• Experienced Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2014, 06:55:19 AM »

Well before I thought it should be good to be able to identify people (especially leaders so you can remove bonuses by taking out the leader) but with the leadership nerf i'm not sure they are targetted first now.

A good thing should be to set a generic name depending on fame (like MMORPG Dark Age of Camelot)
For VTech it could be (random names just to show my point) :
VTech student
VTech researcher
VTech scientist
Family :
Family wastelander
Family thief
Family ringleader
etc etc

And when you have very high fame or high enough bounty on you, your name should be displayed as it is now

Stem Sunders

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2014, 06:59:10 AM »

Really cool idea, I like it.

It will serve making players that still don't use TS even more disadvantaged though IMO

(Yes, yes I know it's nobody else's fault Family won't use TS but we can't force people)

If you are in TS there is less need to know nicknames

What if you were to say something like...

"Shoot the guy in MK3 Support Armor carrying the Deagle, he is stood on the left side of the magazine stand"

Its a bit of a mouthful but could still have the same effect without anymore than one person ever needing to have found out the nickname.

That being said I like the idea of a faction ranking system, that is visible to enemies.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 07:01:08 AM by Stem Sunders »

lvhoang

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2014, 07:04:02 AM »

Komrade: MAAAAH IMMERSHUN!

:P

On a more serious note, it would be a nice feature not to display all enemies names before you hover your mouse on them. However, then you could even think its an NPC.

Hum sounds like a difficult balance to maintain....

paragon

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 07:06:21 AM »

Anza, all players are just mercenaries, random people from the wasteland who fights as slaves for the food and room. We are nothing close to researches or anything (and don't go to battle in that case for sure).

LDR nerf makes you to have less FTL leaders in team, so it's even more cool to have an dedicated alt which won't die fighting.

> And when you have very high fame or high enough bounty on you, your name should be displayed as it is now

I will just create an alt each time for such case. I'm trying to not let people kill you because of your nickname and you're suggesting the opposite.

Stem Sunders

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2014, 07:13:18 AM »

Anza, all players are just mercenaries, random people from the wasteland who fights as slaves for the food and room. We are nothing close to researches or anything (and don't go to battle in that case for sure).

LDR nerf makes you to have less FTL leaders in team, so it's even more cool to have an dedicated alt which won't die fighting.

> And when you have very high fame or high enough bounty on you, your name should be displayed as it is now

I will just create an alt each time for such case. I'm trying to not let people kill you because of your nickname and you're suggesting the opposite.

I dunno if people are attacking because of nicknames.

For example, I have never fired at Suff simply because he is Suff
I fire at Suff because he's carrying a cannon, or he poses the biggest threat at the time.

I'm not sure people shoot at me because they know my name, but more because I opposed an immediate threat.

I dunno maybe wrong.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 07:15:09 AM by Stem Sunders »

Anza

• Experienced Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2014, 07:13:59 AM »

When I said very high fame it was like not reachable easily, like you did ZC/PvP full time for several months, you should be well known in the wasteland :D Atm if you play a lot you should get any rank 3-4 name but not your name ofc
But we can limit it to high enough bounty on your head (like more than 500) :)

The ranks I suggested were just random to show my point they suck sorry :P

@Stem : For me, sometimes you see the name behind wall / window etc, you can't tell easily the weapon without hovering so you just point your mouse on well known prior target
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 07:15:31 AM by Anza »

paragon

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 07:14:35 AM »

Really cool idea, I like it.

It will serve making players that still don't use TS even more disadvantaged though IMO

(Yes, yes I know it's nobody else's fault Family won't use TS but we can't force people)

If you are in TS there is less need to know nicknames

What if you were to say something like...

"Shoot the guy in MK3 Support Armor carrying the Deagle, he is stood on the left side of the magazine stand"

Its a bit of a mouthful but could still have the same effect without anymore than one person ever needing to have found out the nickname.

That being said I like the idea of a faction ranking system, that is visible to enemies.

Watch v-tech videos with voice. We almost never give fire concentration orders, because:
1. It's hard
2. People do not stand in the line with leader to see the same enemies
3. We don't speak English well enough to think about something that complicated as "Shoot the guy in MK3 Support Armor carrying the Deagle, he is stood on the left side of the magazine stand", in the same time as fighting and we not able to pronounce it in any enough time (5-6 seconds? and 15 seconds for team to understand).

It will actually nerf voice comms, because know I say: kill courier (2 words), everyone understands in 5 seconds and do. Without nickname.... try yourself.

The effect will be opposite. You see machine gunner - you know he's a threat, you shoot. And nobody can points it out until it created the threat (then "Shoot machine gunner", but lol, don't you see youself?)

naossano

• Alpha Explorer
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Fallout Génération
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 07:16:09 AM »

You suggest not being able to see the name of the players you meet ?

I have good relationships with some people in other factions, outside of ZC, and bad relationships with some others. I know, for instance, that player X from faction X must be shot on sight because he is a PK, while player Y from faction X is a nice guy that won't never shoot people first. If i don't know who it is, i might shoot some nice guys or give the benefit of the doubt toward known PK.
You speak french and love Fallout, Wasteland and post-apocalyptic culture ? Join us now.
http://fallout-generation.com

Anza

• Experienced Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 07:17:56 AM »

War, war never changes Nao :D

Stem Sunders

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2014, 07:20:31 AM »

You suggest not being able to see the name of the players you meet ?

I have good relationships with some people in other factions, outside of ZC, and bad relationships with some others. I know, for instance, that player X from faction X must be shot on sight because he is a PK, while player Y from faction X is a nice guy that won't never shoot people first. If i don't know who it is, i might shoot some nice guys or give the benefit of the doubt toward known PK.

That is a good point, I wouldn't wanna pump Vault Boy full of lead by mistake :(

@Paragon

You also have a good point I have never heard you guys give such orders
but just because you guys dont/cant send orders like that doesn't mean that a different team can't.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 07:33:43 AM by Stem Sunders »

paragon

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2014, 07:22:08 AM »

@Anza, I'm afraid I'll be first with high fame if server stays the same, it's very personal xD I don't really see any point except just giving the fame rank, it's already a lot of information comparing to no nickname at all.

And yes we still have our bounty.

@Stem, Yes, people attack ME personally because of my nickname, even if not everyone xD Same I do against enemies I know.

@naosanno
1. you will see nicknames with mouse over.
2. faction alliances are exploitable as we can see: courier, stalker and v-tech constantly capturing the whole core, such cheatbags ):

UPD:
@Stem, you really should try yourself to say someone to shoot at someone with something somewhere there. Please record, it'll be really fun.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 07:24:45 AM by paragon »

Anza

• Experienced Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2014, 07:26:54 AM »

Another thing could be saying
[Faction] wastelander (or other if / if not rank system based on fame)

But when you're close enough (like 10 hex or depending on PER if you really wanna something RP :P), you can see the name, either as it is now or by hovering.

So you should be able to see your friends among other factions but still get a risk that it is someone else. Same goes with enemies, if you fight in the same small rooms, you should be able to recognize people right ?

Anyway I prefer my previous idea, faction ranks based on fame + name if high enough bounty :)

Niamak

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 18, 2014, 07:27:27 AM »

When I play AoP, I don't see nicknames, I only see vtech noobs.

Anza

• Experienced Survivor
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2014, 07:28:59 AM »

When I play AoP, I don't see nicknames, I only see vtech noobs.

Hit F6  ;D

Niamak

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 07:30:57 AM »

I tried and I see vtech noob 1, vtech noob 2, etc...

Stem Sunders

« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2014, 07:35:06 AM »

UPD:
@Stem, you really should try yourself to say someone to shoot at someone with something somewhere there. Please record, it'll be really fun.

I will try my best to do JUST that!

Now to find someone willing to take orders.....Hmmmm....... ;D

paragon

« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2014, 07:43:53 AM »

There's public family mumble and 3 v-tech spies, try there.

For example, I have never fired at Suff simply because he is Suff
I fire at Suff because he's carrying a cannon, or he poses the biggest threat at the time.

And next time you fire at Suff because he was the threat through your past experience and you associate his nickname with it. That's the point
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 07:57:40 AM by paragon »
Pages: [1] 2 3

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip