Author Topic: Vision range instead of PE  (Read 3628 times)

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
Vision range instead of PE
« on: April 09, 2015, 12:15:24 PM »

There are a few situations/items that negatively or positively effect PE, my suggestion is to change these effects to modifying vision range directly instead, these include;

Stealth, Night time (may already be just vision), mentats, psycho, blindness and crippled eye effects.

The reasoning mostly is so that the positive and negative effects on a characters perception are always somewhat effective e.g. psycho/blindness with PE 1 still reducing vision, mentats with PE 10 still being useful etc, but particularly blinding and eye crits, which in theory do nothing to someone already with 1 PE.

SnowCrash

• Wastelander
  • Ninja Lawyer
    • View Profile
Re: Vision range instead of PE
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 01:56:06 PM »

I can agree with you on some of those, as perception is related to all senses and not only sight.

Night should only affect sight range, as is a factor that reduces your vision but has no effect on your other senses.
Psycho and mentats seems reasonable that affect PE directly. But as you state, some one with low perception can negate the drawback of psycho. May be can be changed to -3PE -8 sight instead. And same with mentats giving +2PE and +4 sight to still give a bonus for chars with 10 PE
Sneak penalty its fine, lorewise you can see it as if you need to use all your senses to focus on remain stealthed. And some one with 1PE cant sneak properly anyway

Blindness and disorientation already affect you chance to hit, so those can only affect sight range. May be even drop your vision to half

But a simple solution can be that sigth calculation concider negative values. The formula is: base sight + PE*4. So, having 1PE and taking a psycho will result into: base sight - 4*4

cirn0

• No Name Yet Team
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
  • That's Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 09:25:12 PM »

Agreed.
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FEATURES! YOU'LL REGRET THIS!

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2015, 05:26:16 AM »

Agreed.

Kewl.

And some one with 1PE cant sneak properly anyway

I'm with you on everything but this, I actually tested out a 1 PE stealther build, gave him hawkeyes and a pistol (melee would be the same, probably without hawkeyes), and he is amazingly effective. The only real problems with that type of build is other sneakers.

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip