Author Topic: Timers going on when contested  (Read 3662 times)

naossano

• Alpha Explorer
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Fallout Génération
Timers going on when contested
« on: January 27, 2015, 09:41:39 AM »

I am totally sure of being accurate on this, but i feel that when you are in "contested" situation, the timer is totally blocked.

IMO, that timer should keep going. Not necessary by showing a timer (it can still show "contested" instead of it) but having all the faction actually keep getting points when the zone is contested. But no one would take the zone as long as the area is contested.

Takes situations :
- Faction A is taking zone. They need 10 minutes. After only 2 minutes, player X from faction B come up and hide. Faction A would still have to hunt him down and kill him/make sure he leaves. They shouldn't have the zone if there are still enemies around. But, let's say faction A takes 12 minutes to make him disapear, they shouldn't have have to wait another 8 minutes to have the zone. They stayed 10 minutes or more, and got rid of the competition. They did enough to earn the zone.

- Faction A is taking the zone. Faction B, C and D are all coming full force to fight them. It is a pretty tough battle that last one hour. At the end of the battle, only 2 members of faction D are still alive. They should get that zone, instead of having to wait 30 minutes with their inventory full of loot. They stayed enough to grab the points and they are the only ones left. They earned it.
You speak french and love Fallout, Wasteland and post-apocalyptic culture ? Join us now.
http://fallout-generation.com

Anza

• Experienced Survivor
    • View Profile
Re: Timers going on when contested
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 09:48:54 AM »

I agree that something should be done when a troll contests a zone just to bother the faction taking the zone, but in case of big fights, I'd rather have it like it currently is.

naossano

• Alpha Explorer
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Fallout Génération
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 09:58:23 AM »

Big battle >
They don't get points for killing the competition. (even for individual score)
They get points for staying long enough, with enough members, to get the zone.
If the big battle last only 5 minutes, the survivors still have to wait 5 additionnal minutes (if they are still six) to get the zone.
An other option would be to make the timer slower during the contest period.
Let's say instead of gaining 1 point for each lvl6+ character for each second, you gain 0,5 for each lvl6+ character for each second.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 11:36:29 AM by naossano »
You speak french and love Fallout, Wasteland and post-apocalyptic culture ? Join us now.

cirn0

• No Name Yet Team
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
  • That's Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 02:01:00 PM »

I have opted a simple change to make ZC less trollable by:
1 ) Removing the cooldown
2 ) Contested zones will still have points gained by the difference in player count.

Example Attacker has 6, defender brings 2, the attacker will still be gaining score of 4 per tick.
Max is still 6 points / s so if two sides have over 6 players, difference does not matter points gained = 0.

And I had this planned..... back in november.
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FEATURES! YOU'LL REGRET THIS!

naossano

• Alpha Explorer
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
    • Fallout Génération
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 02:16:41 PM »

By removing the cooldown, you mean the visual timer ?

That solution seems fine too.
The issue itself is kind of tricky. On one hand, if someone come to defend, it would be unfair to prevent him from contesting. On the other hand, it would be unfair for those who take the area, to make them wait entire hours for someone that keep coming back from respawn.

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip