Author Topic: Getting paid for guarding your factions gates  (Read 5029 times)

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
Getting paid for guarding your factions gates
« on: September 19, 2014, 08:31:38 AM »

Could be worked in somewhere between an assignment and a ZC, a player or group of players accepts a quest to guard (either the whole or just part) their particular gate, the jobs could vary from 10-30 minutes worth of guarding and the reward could be relative to the amount to hostile npcs and players you kill. Much like the guards that already patrol about but player maintained :D

There could be a max of say 2-4 gate guard patrols at a time and the patrol sizes could be limited to say 4-8 to stop any buildup of excessive amounts of players there.

Thoughts?

cirn0

• No Name Yet Team
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
  • That's Terror
    • View Profile
Re: Getting paid for guarding your factions gates
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 11:20:04 AM »

Maybe some sort of bounty system for PKs who've killed your faction-mate lowbies. But that seems abusable. But knowing FOnline you would probably wait until the noob dies, get the bounty and loot all.

Someone give me a non exploitable system!
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FEATURES! YOU'LL REGRET THIS!

Myakot

• Global Moderator
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Eng\Rus Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2014, 11:52:30 AM »

Well getting leg. Weapons during ZCs is also pretty damn exploitable, but no one is doing it, unless HoF is not working.

I'm up for this concept (esp. since I won't be able to help with anything and poor devs will be on it).
I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and the stuff together...
Okay, 3, 2, 1, let's jam!

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2014, 11:55:52 AM »

I mentioned somewhere else that a friend had a bounty board idea, but it was more along the lines of either a player posted reward system, or of an automated one that calculated the current biggest (say 10) threats to your faction (either most kills, most teamkills or most "lowbie" vs highbie kills). Once killed they would be wiped from the bounty board (and their bounty reputation set to 0) and the killer would be rewarded, but that too could be exploited in some ways. Unless maybe they dropped an item on death that had to be traded in to collect the bounty? Or if the level of the bounty was connected to an experience pool that was drained from each time the player with the bounty was shot, and then dumped on the player who killed them.

I am all for more jobs/quests that involve pvp and teamwork, but that also provide the incentives of loot XP and reputation if it is still possible to implement them at this stage.

I figured giving people an incentive to guard their gates will make for some interesting situations considering how often the factions use each others gates for attacks etc, but at the same time it might draw attention away from the gates as a quick and easy place to get kills and flee.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 12:07:51 PM by mAdman »

PorkchopExpress

• Wastelander
  • Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2014, 12:08:33 PM »

Most actions that require players can be abused,it's in human nature,especially in Fonline.One side should be npc.Maybe something like  guards attacking enemy gate,and people can defend for some kind of reward,with long respawn time,so it's not "farmable"?But that pretty much kills idea of bounty hunting other players  :-\
Check it out! Independently targeting particle beam phalanx. Vwap! Fry half a city with this puppy. We got tactical smart missiles, phase-plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, we got sonic electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives, sharp sticks...

Hans Landa

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2014, 01:18:18 PM »

What about this:
If a player kills a guy from his own faction he gets a "bounty" point and loses some rep. The kill is counted not by the final blow but by the amount of damage dealt before death, so if a guy is lasthitted by some monster but you did the most damage before that, you get the kill. The "bounty" points have a timer of 3-7 days, the faction has a short memory. When a player accumulates 3 points he becomes "marked". Once the "bounty" points drop below 3, the "mark" status is deleted. The "mark" can be seen with awarness. If you kill a "marked" player you don't lose rep. Once the killer has 3 points, any player from his faction can go to the "Bounty Hunter" NPC and open a request for his head, the player that opens it pays his own money as bounty. If the "marked" killer stays hidden long enough that his "bounty" points are forgotten, the bounty request is deleted and the money is returned to the opener. If the "marked" player is killed by another guy from his faction,let's say "hunter", the "hunter" is the player that dealt the most damage before the marked target died. The "hunter" has the ability to use an axe on the "killer" body and chop his head off, yes you will need to carry an axe. The head has a life timer or 24 hours, after that it becomes rotten and unusable, the head can be sold to the killer for caps or gear. The head has the name of his owner on it :D. Once the "hunter" has the head, he can hand it over to the bounty hunter NPC, the "hunter" gets the bounty assigned for him, and the "killer" gets -10k rep for each "bounty" point that is active at that moment. The points are deleted after that, so he is 3 kill away from being "marked" again. The person that opened the request, gets the head for his money. He can put it on a stick in his room or platoon base.

Regarding the patrols, best way is see it is to tie them to assignments. Stay near NPC patrol for xxx minutes, get caps and exp. Easy patrols at the gate, hard patrols deeper into the city. The patrols can be done only on maps owned by the faction(gate+ZC). So if you have no zones, you can only patrol the gate.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 01:23:49 PM by Hans Landa »

cirn0

• No Name Yet Team
  • Outdoorsman Veteran
  • That's Terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2014, 03:24:46 PM »

The thing about bounty is that, they can simply ask their friend to PK them for the reward.

And I'm willing to bet players requiring incentive to patrols would run away on first sight of enemy probably.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 03:26:31 PM by cirn0 »
YOU CAN'T CUT BACK ON FEATURES! YOU'LL REGRET THIS!

Hans Landa

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2014, 04:01:43 PM »

they can simply ask their friend to PK them for the reward.
They will get the reward assigned by the requester, but the "killer" also will lose 10k rep per kill when the head is turned in. If the relics get more expensive, or removed from vendor, or if they stop giving rep past 30-40k, then the rep loss will be a significant issue if the player is abusing teamkilling. The rep lose number can be balanced around the average rep of players. So if it's 300k then of course a 30k penalty is too low. Or the rep loss can be 25% of total rep per point, when the head is turned over with 3-4 kills you lose access to the high tier assignments and vendor, 5+ kills you get kicked out of the faction.

And I'm willing to bet players requiring incentive to patrols would run away on first sight of enemy probably.
This can be a fun way to farm for geared, organized groups, if the reward is worth. If you run away you just miss it.

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2014, 04:25:50 PM »

The thing about bounty is that, they can simply ask their friend to PK them for the reward.

Yeah :\ certainly not perfect. Too many angles to exploit, through inter faction friends and the like, ah well back to the drawing board.

LoL as funny and true as this is, there aren't many players that i've seen that go out of their way to guard their gates unless they hear of enemies first, in which case it is likely too late, in this case at least there would be a somewhat armed group (or the possibility of) of real players along with the ai guards to deal with if one wanted to "troll" another factions gate. To accomplish such tasks they would need a bigger and/or more well equipped group to even try, plus they risk it all for only kills and loot, while the others are getting paid to die, if it comes to that.

I had thought of the idea as a way for low levelers to make some money but you are right, they would surely just up and run at the first sign of trouble. :D

In hindsight this idea was made to deter world exit gate shenanigans and gate camping, but it may in fact promote it through escalating gate fights, so hmm. Maybe not such a good one.

Myakot

• Global Moderator
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Eng\Rus Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2014, 11:06:14 PM »

How about (at least) there will be a faction message from any guard patrol on any location?
Like: [BBoys]:Guard Patrol: "We're holed up in Liberty Park, damn Lawyers came out of nowhere, there are more than 5, requesting backup."
I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and the stuff together...
Okay, 3, 2, 1, let's jam!

Stem Sunders

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 11:44:53 PM »

A nice thought but I also don't need to get paid to do my duty  8)

1 of each, there was more. I dont camp other factions gates I camp our own

Kill to death ratio is VERY good I to and I don't have to feel bad about killing blue suites, they should have known better.  :P

« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 11:52:41 PM by Stem Sunders »

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip