Author Topic: Where to start ?  (Read 6066 times)

Ender

• No Name Yet Team
  • Wastelander
    • View Profile
Where to start ?
« on: September 10, 2014, 10:11:57 AM »

Hello all,

I think the wiki are use by two kind of people : The people knowing already a bit of the game and coming for more information on a specific topic ( like what is the best weapons, effect of drugs, etc... )and the new players asking "What should I do first when I start the game ?"

There is no "beginner guide" tutorial explaining the basics of fonline-aop. What you can do - How you can do it.
Maybe it will be great to think of it. I will create some pages to speak about the Lawyer HQ ( where are people, quests, merchand, etc.. ).

Could be great if people from other faction could do some "beginner guide" for their faction. When we will have the 4 guide we will create one for tutorial / faction's selection and we will have something good to start I think.

paragon

Re: Where to start ?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 10:45:54 AM »

I will create a Zone-screenshot map soon. Also you can take what's already done from the tutorial in game tips and guide section.

Uriel

• Wastelander
  • V-Technologist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2014, 12:09:15 PM »

I thinks begginers guides for all fractions will be similar. Only location of NPC's(screenshots) will be differents. So it will not wery difficult. I will help paragon with composition.

"There is only one path in life of true men - this path that leads to War"

Myakot

• Global Moderator
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Eng\Rus Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2014, 12:50:39 PM »

Is it really a necessity? Why does everyone wants to make a step-by-step guide which everyone will be forced to follow? (Since the only alternative would be to learn all by yourself, which is much more fun, but requires work).
I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and the stuff together...
Okay, 3, 2, 1, let's jam!

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2014, 02:18:18 PM »

IMO Beginner guides should be on the forum.

Wiki should just contain data on where you can join a faction, where to leave the faction, and how to join another one. Stuff like that

Shangalar

• No Name Yet Team
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Dictatorial Tyrant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 03:19:32 PM »

Wiki could and should also contain a tutorial section. The purpose of a wiki is to provide information, and there's no more important info than that for a new player.

paragon

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 06:18:03 PM »

Shangalar

• No Name Yet Team
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Dictatorial Tyrant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 07:09:41 PM »

A "getting started" section should still be introduced on top of the wiki page imo. Like just next to "Welcome to FOnline: Ashes of Phoenix wiki! If you want to know more about the game, you're at the right place."

As soon as the tutorial will be back online, I'd like someone to write an article about it that'll be included in that "getting started" section. This article will need to explain clearly the components of the tutorial but without spoiling it.

Deathproof

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2014, 10:52:18 PM »

Is it really a necessity? Why does everyone wants to make a step-by-step guide which everyone will be forced to follow? (Since the only alternative would be to learn all by yourself, which is much more fun, but requires work).

I would usually agree with you but in a month you'll have server populated with geared up/leveled up PKers who will make noobs ragequit. So at least giving them basic steps how - to do stuff the best way isn't bad at all.

Myakot

• Global Moderator
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Eng\Rus Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2014, 11:14:31 PM »

I would usually agree with you but in a month you'll have server populated with geared up/leveled up PKers who will make noobs ragequit. So at least giving them basic steps how - to do stuff the best way isn't bad at all.
Yeah I guess you're right :(, whelp I guess we have a lot of work to do !!! ^^.
So how will it be? A step-by-step guide on how to do stuff, or a giant screenshot of the base with painted instructions on it? ( i.e. (Arrow pointing) this trader sells weapons! See more about him at 5.2 ?)
I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and the stuff together...
Okay, 3, 2, 1, let's jam!

Shangalar

• No Name Yet Team
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Dictatorial Tyrant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2014, 11:56:54 PM »

I think you should take the player by the hand and show him the stuff step by step, as in the game. So, start with the tutorial (when it's back) with a clear general explanation (try to avoid spoil- even though a "solution" could be written on another wiki page), then go towards factions after that and what you do when you start playing with the other players. Some "what to absolutely do" and "what to avoid doing", general tips could also be useful.

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2014, 12:21:11 PM »

I think a step-by-step guide is really needed. I finally got some time to play and after about 2 hours I have less then what I started with. I have no idea how to even get my first gun.   

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2014, 06:54:01 PM »

I think a step-by-step guide is really needed. I finally got some time to play and after about 2 hours I have less then what I started with. I have no idea how to even get my first gun.
This is exactly why tutorials should come back, also its not that hard to get a weapon ...

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip