Author Topic: Traps  (Read 5740 times)

BG Sexpert

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
Traps
« on: September 22, 2014, 08:20:34 AM »

Traps seem... pretty meh...
While they could be a potent ZC mechanic. Sure mines do a lot of damage, but it likely will be first aided before causing any severe damage.

How about being able to rig doors, and have the damage be significant enough to 1shot a player.

Niamak

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Traps
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 08:30:36 AM »

In ZC, players are still only beginning to use explosive like grenade and rocket launcher (also sneaker war). Even when a group is camping in a room, you don't see any traps. In my opinion, players are not using every tool at their disposal right now. Not even talking about using them in the best situation.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 08:39:37 AM by Niamak »

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 09:09:58 AM »

Door rigging sounds good to me if possible in this engine. Komrade suggest body rigging too, but I'd go as far as containers of any kind.

A one or 2 hex radius high damage anti personnel mine and a large radius shrapnel one were the first types i was expecting with mines, but I dunno.

Myakot

• Global Moderator
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Eng\Rus Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 09:12:35 AM »

Door rigging is possible within the engine, TLA has that. But you have to plant a grenade on the door. ( primarily it was used against sneakers, who had none hp).
I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and the stuff together...
Okay, 3, 2, 1, let's jam!

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 04:49:28 PM »

What if we could upgrade our beartraps to deal more damage, or poison them?

And maybe plasma mines? :D

Gimper

• Wastelander
  • Your Loving Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 07:35:14 PM »

+1 for better and more traps. But also, make them require a bit less to make. Everything is so much to craft in this game!
Things just got worse.

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 03:48:50 AM »

+1 for better and more traps. But also, make them require a bit less to make. Everything is so much to craft in this game!

No i like that they are difficult to craft, unless I think we would see traps everywhere all the time, which would just be frustrating even for players with the traps skill. More and better would be nice :)

Kinord

• Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 04:22:10 AM »

I believe that traps are not so useful(bear trap exactly), how they cost to craft them. So, we cant use them twice, but their "craft price"(for bear trap) are higher than most of potential useful items, how armor and guns. Maybe cost of traps must be little bit cheaper than now?

And, of course, i believe that we need more types of traps :)

PS: SOrry for my english

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2014, 05:36:17 AM »

I think traps are hard to make and not that effective because otherwise all maps would be minefields.
I think it would be better if there would be a limit on how many traps can be set side by side (e.g. in a 1-2 hex radious from one trap others can't be set).
Minefields are not made to kill enemy forces, they are for slowing down their movement.

PyrO

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2014, 06:02:08 AM »

I do not see why to limit traps in an room or need them to have space between them.
I would say that normal traps are fine but bear traps should not decay but rather make the player stuck until the trap gets used successfully by the trap skill with of course the bleeding caused by it. Also having an room that also works as entrance mined up befor would be fine in my opinion and its not like people have 500 mines laying around anyway :P

Niamak

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2014, 06:19:48 AM »

Did you guys really see any traps in action in ZC to be so sure about their usefulness ?

Traps cost about the same as grenades to craft. Traps are supposed to be useful for camping in rooms, grenade are supposed to be good to counter campers in rooms.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 06:21:58 AM by Niamak »

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 06:23:14 AM »

I tried Niamak, but soome silly man touched the flag before i had even set the first trap, and even though I mentioned that I would be trapping to the whole group many times, there were still a couple who just ran around everywhere like they need to touch every hex on the map at least once >.<

Still waiting for a good opportunity, but I have attempted a successful pvp ambush using traps by myself, however. So I can attest to their effectiveness in certain situations.

Myakot

• Global Moderator
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Eng\Rus Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2014, 06:23:50 AM »

Mines hurt a lot. They apply shit ton of bleeding, which means that if some1 in your team triggers a mine (or a couple of them) some1 will have to go into -50AP from using doctor. Don't forget that mines do knockback the person, which can result in more explosions. Which basically means your entire team can just bleed to death unless treated with a doctor skill which = death, because the ones who laid those mines will hear the explosions and attack you immediately.
Traps are pretty fine they way they are to me, the only thing I dislike is that you have to be in 1-hex radius in order to use Traps skill.
(You can't use traps skill on a trap so that your character would run up to it by himself and then disarm, you'd have to run manually).
I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and the stuff together...
Okay, 3, 2, 1, let's jam!

Niamak

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2014, 06:28:33 AM »

I understand sniping is easier than using grenades then using grenade is easier than traps but eh...

My faction rarely camp in rooms so I have no use for traps. For example, I see family camping in rooms quite often so traps could be useful for them...

mAdman

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2014, 07:48:19 AM »

Yeah if we weren't all poor as fuck from getting mauled all the time we might be able to afford a decent supply of traps >.< You just want us to bring traps so you can take them all and restock your arsenal im sure :P

And to be honest i don't think it would help that much at all unless i put the mines around my friends feet for the inevitable swarming rush, but they would likely step on them.

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip