Author Topic: Crit or Bust  (Read 6260 times)

BG Sexpert

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
Crit or Bust
« on: September 17, 2014, 09:09:05 AM »

Critical builds are at an all time high right now and I'd like to discuss some of the reasons that is so.
1. Critical tables based off of each SPECIAL guarantees that a crit build will find a weak spot against you. This is because the crit character is rolling their two BEST stats against the critical resistance of likely your WORST stat.
2. Critical tables based of of each SPECIAL allows for various ways for critical hits to take you out of the fight. This could be a knock down, a knock out, blind, cripple, disorient, wind or weapon drop.
3. Some weapons have disproportionate aimed shot costs with enormous crit potential. Several pistols allow for a player to do an aimed eye shot for less than 35 AP (Desert Eagle 50). With potentially 3 shots within one AP bar, you are almost guaranteed to get a knockout/blind/disorient on a player. It is not uncommon to see a player score 130 damage crit + knockout from a pistol.
4. DR buffs from leadership and armor stats make bypasses even more important by way of making non-bypass damage nearly negligible. I've been able to stack 20+ DT and 80+ DR normal. Now weapons whose stats say 65 damage, do more like 15 per shot.
5. Range is more important in AoP than any other FOnline to date. With crit being as powerful as it is, you are likely going to be knocked out, and chipped down before you get the chance to fight back.

These are my observations. This isn't a complaint, as I'm thoroughly enjoying my sniper character right now. However, as crit being the end-all be-all better build archetype, it really limits the games scope. I'm not sure how to fix this, but I think something should be done.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 09:11:57 AM by BG Sexpert »

S.T.A.L.K.E.R

Re: Crit or Bust
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 09:22:31 AM »

Nobody wants to be sg burster cause no one hexing.  So they use snipers.  Also you can take the critical resistance perks if you don't like being criticaled.

baskila

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 09:26:40 AM »

Snipers are effective but not in all situations. It might be true for some mid range weapons but for example all long range snipers have huge AP cost to make them balanced.
Plus snipers are like every specialized builds effective in certain situations.
The simplest way to beat them is to use indoors like if you would in real battle. People don't usually run in the open during urban walfare and then cry snipers OP.
Use indoors and get close. City is big - go around, use grenades, send a sneak or two. There are many tactics to beat them.
So far I heard that grenades are OP, mele builds are OP because they do 150+ crits. Now it's the snipers turn and you might be right in regards to some parts of your post but on the other hand tactics are there, defensive perks are there and other possibilities as well. I'm sure some tweaks will balance things out even more but I don't think it requires any fundamental changes.

BG Sexpert

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 09:41:44 AM »

Snipers are effective but not in all situations. It might be true for some mid range weapons but for example all long range snipers have huge AP cost to make them balanced.
The simplest way to beat them is to use indoors like if you would in real battle. People don't usually run in the open during urban walfare and then cry snipers OP.
Use indoors and get close. City is big - go around, use grenades, send a sneak or two. There are many tactics to beat them.
So far I heard that grenades are OP, mele builds are OP because they do 150+ crits. Now it's the snipers turn and you might be right in regards to some parts of your post but on the other hand tactics are there, defensive perks are there and other possibilities as well. I'm sure some tweaks will balance things out even more but I don't think it requires any fundamental changes.

Say that to a crit build with this:
http://fonline-aop.net/wiki/index.php?title=Desert_Eagle_.50AE

I once believed the Remmington was the best close ranged weapon. I was wrong.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:25:02 AM by BG Sexpert »

BG Sexpert

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 09:42:59 AM »

Nobody wants to be sg burster cause no one hexing.  So they use snipers.  Also you can take the critical resistance perks if you don't like being criticaled.

They are still rolling two stats against the modifier of your one skill. This gives them the advantage still.
Furthermore, the critical resistance of each stat is only defensive against the special effects of the crit.
http://fonline-aop.net/wiki/index.php?title=Critical_Hit
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 09:49:27 AM by BG Sexpert »

RazorRamon

• Outdoorsman Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 10:08:19 AM »

Say that to a sniper with this:

deagle gets 27-31 range on an aimed shot

thats hardly a sniper now is it

BG Sexpert

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 11:24:13 AM »

Baskila said that they way to beat a sniper was to get close. So my argument was how closing the distance on a sniper/crit build isn't going to work because of weapons like the Deagle. Thank you for proving my point.

Again, this doesn't just pertain to snipers. It pertains to all crit favored builds. The topic post is Crit or Bust, not sniper. You guys are making your own strawmen here, and are still wrong...
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 11:26:17 AM by BG Sexpert »

faopcurious

• Outdoorsman Veteran
  • War.... War always changes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 01:13:37 PM »

Not to mention taking 200 damage from someone 80 hexes away >_>

Spore Plants

• Wanderer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 01:38:41 PM »

It's annoying how most small engagements revolve around who cripples or knocks down who first. I've noticed many more snipers than other builds, yesterday we even had a group of like 7 snipers all using the same gun and armor.
It's the army, we got power in numbers
And that's .9s, .45s, .357s, and M500s

baskila

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 05:00:30 PM »

Baskila said that they way to beat a sniper was to get close. So my argument was how closing the distance on a sniper/crit build isn't going to work because of weapons like the Deagle. Thank you for proving my point.

Again, this doesn't just pertain to snipers. It pertains to all crit favored builds. The topic post is Crit or Bust, not sniper. You guys are making your own strawmen here, and are still wrong...

I agree with your point when it comes to Deagle. If you look closely at my post you will see that I said that you might be right about mid range weapons. Maybe I focused too much on pure snipers tho. Those are fine but yea some small tweaks to those mid range weapons that allow multiple crits in a row might balance things out.

wojciech

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2014, 05:32:35 PM »

It's annoying how most small engagements revolve around who cripples or knocks down who first. I've noticed many more snipers than other builds, yesterday we even had a group of like 7 snipers all using the same gun and armor.

Sniper in AoP got  big dmg and its easy to play it. No 1hex, dmg from pancor jakhammer to metal armor is arround 80 and it cost about 50 ap. Pistol with aimed shoot is doing more dmg and cost less ap.

Only one good weapon on close range is flamer. If devs will nerf flamer I will just click alt+f4 and delete folder :D

« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 05:56:34 PM by wojciech »

wojciech

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2014, 06:04:41 PM »

Lol next expert... try to kil solo 2-3 snipers(normal decent players, not newbies). Its impossible in that game. They just spam your arm and You will have weapon drop every 2 seconds and gg, wp.

Nunn

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 07:17:49 PM »

Criticals do seem rather too easy to get.

Myakot

• Global Moderator
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Eng\Rus Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2014, 01:02:26 AM »

Let's hope that T3 armour will fix that. (If it will have an anti-crit parameter)
I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and the stuff together...
Okay, 3, 2, 1, let's jam!

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip