Author Topic: New Players  (Read 5256 times)

evilcheesecake

• Wanderer
    • View Profile
New Players
« on: September 20, 2014, 08:50:54 AM »

As a new player, I've found that the game is extremely difficult to get into alone. When I first got the game it was rather enjoyable, just running around and doing assignments. However, the assignments give me too small an income for any more difficult assignments, so I'm stuck facing unarmed cannibals 90% of the time.

Of course, the solution to this is to get some help from other players. However, low-level players are all considered beneath notice by the general community, and I'm yet to find anyone else my level. With everyone else so far ahead, I'm left to scavenge for my money due to the assignment difficulty. Of course, with a lack of support, the MOMENT I enter the core I get sniped by someone I can't even see. Fed up of constantly getting killed by high-level players, I started begging everyone in my faction for help, and was still ignored. After trying that for a while, I decided to simply follow a group of nearby faction members. The moment we left Vault 7, they all turned around and shot me. My own faction.

I'm posting this as I'm unsure of what to do next. I can't get better items due to my lack of a squad, and I can't get into a squad because of my lack of items. Wat do? :/
"Too many people have opinions on things they know nothing about. And the more ignorant they are, the more opinions they have."

Shangalar

• No Name Yet Team
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Dictatorial Tyrant
    • View Profile
Re: New Players
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2014, 09:00:37 AM »

I don't understand how level can be a barrier for anything in AoP. This is an absolute non-sense. Bringing stuff higher than Tier 1 is important, but the rest shouldn't matter.

PyrO

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2014, 09:04:12 AM »

Well its not an absolute nonsense as with higher skill % you actually get your range too.
Perks have a great impact too.

However Cheesecake hit me up ingame and we will get you up for missions without pk :P

Deathproof

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2014, 10:30:02 AM »

I'll tell you easiest way to join team for assignments. Most of the people try to get on to 5th floor soon as they can and someone is always doing assignments there. Donate relics (holodisks,maps,blueprints,memory modules) to your crafter for reputation, once you get to 30k reputation (should be about 20 relics) you can access harder missions.

Now since you're low level you won't be able to do them alone, but someone will always team up and you can just be there to heal people and you'll get money + experience.

Myakot

• Global Moderator
  • Wasteland Figure
  • Eng\Rus Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2014, 10:41:16 AM »

I'll tell you easiest way to join team for assignments. Most of the people try to get on to 5th floor soon as they can and someone is always doing assignments there. Donate relics (holodisks,maps,blueprints,memory modules) to your crafter for reputation, once you get to 30k reputation (should be about 20 relics) you can access harder missions.

Now since you're low level you won't be able to do them alone, but someone will always team up and you can just be there to heal people and you'll get money + experience.
Or at least glab a supersledge and be usefull with a perma-npc-stun.
I think it's time we blow this scene, get everybody and the stuff together...
Okay, 3, 2, 1, let's jam!

Deathproof

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2014, 11:21:05 AM »

I don't understand how level can be a barrier for anything in AoP. This is an absolute non-sense. Bringing stuff higher than Tier 1 is important, but the rest shouldn't matter.

Skill points invested in gun skills make hell of a difference not to mention perks, more than equipment if you ask me. That's what I got from so far experience playing this game.

Prosector

• Wastelander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2014, 09:10:25 PM »

It's easy to loot in phoenix for me as level 1, and then solo D-C grade assignments with eq still on lvl1, but if they are total noobs and constantly getting pwned at the second area without bringing anything home, it can be frustrating.

I think some single player locations/quests like the tutorial would help these beginners to get basic items (one time quests rewarding a bit of money, xp, leather jacket/armor, some ak47-like weapons for a tougher (but still easy) quest. So they can get past F assignments. Ofcourse I am aware of that how much work it need, as well as of the lag issue.

Another idea: F assignments could make them available to find a mandatory >70% condition tier 1 uzi weapon/laser pistol, E assignments give them 75% leather jacket or worst tier 2 gun lootable, etc. So they get basic stuffs slowly, so they only need to spend caps when they lose that stuff.

hell

• Wastelander
  • Lawyer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2014, 09:34:53 PM »

Any new player should rush into phoenix at level 1.
Relics are more than common stuff and in 1 hour you can find 10-15. Even more if you are lucky.
Killing Golden geckos in your path and collecting materials are usefull secondary goals.
When you gather 20 relics donate them to get 30k rep. After this hurry to advanced assignements.
Where you can join group of players or doing solo B missions.

Also any new player should know that getting on mumble or teamspeak is the best way to start out.
There are a lot of platoons hiring new members and im sure that any of them will help. If you want to learn game mechanics, get good build set-ups or just join zc you sould really start there.

There is a section dedicated to platoons and IRC where you can apply or send pm to get adresses to mumbs or ts.

New players will be always in lot of pain unless guided.

SMF 2.0.2 | SMF © 2011, Simple Machines
Simple Audio Video Embedder - Theme by Crip